I have to take 15mg of morphine every 4 hours as palliative therapy. I take it orally, and have constipation and reduced respiratory function because of that. It does not relieve the pain well enough. I want to ask my physician to increase the dose of morphine that I can have. Would he think that I got addicted and refuse to do it?

I was on morphine 20mg orally, and than complained to my physician because of the same reasons as you mentioned. He switched me on parenteral administration, and it was much better. Morphine is rapidly destroyed by liver and the dose that gets into the circulation is much lower than one that was taken orally. Intramuscular doses are lower than oral, 10mg every 4 hours are more effective than 20mg taken orally. I’m sure your doctor will understand. Don’t let yourself suffer pain.

you are on the wrong medication if that much isn't working, ask for something different, maybe in a patch form

I was on 150 mg's daily for my Spinal Tumor Pain. ( 2 and 1/2 years worth.)

It didn't help at all.

It caused Extremely Severe Limb Twitching , whick looked like I was seizing. But I wasn't.

It caused frightening Heart Palpitations that sent me to the ER 5 times in 2 years for an EKG to make sure my heart wasn't exploding , like it felt it was.

I stopped it cold turkey.

Been off it 6 months. I hurt really bad though. No scarey side effects anymore.

I did try Tylenol 3 & 4 and everything in between , working my way to Morphine , Methadone , Fentnyl & Versed.

None of them helped my spinal tumor pain.

Have u tried smoking medical marijauna?