Hi! I am 59 years old woman, and I just have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Tell me something about treatment for osteoporosis. Do I need calcium supplements? Should I have some lifestyle changes?

Hi! The most widely used treatments are drugs called "bisphosphonates" such as Fosamax and Actonel. These are effective at reducing the risk of bone fractures, and are usually given once a week. Calcium and vitamin D supplements are usually given along with the drug treatments mentioned above, because calcium is one of the most important minerals in bone and vitamin D is needed to absorb calcium properly. If you are a smoker, this increases the risk of osteoporosis and you would be well advised to stop. Exercise is beneficial, since it increases muscle power and tone and will reduce the risk of falls occurring as well as reducing bone loss. Diet is important, both in terms of taking enough calcium and also in making sure that you have a balanced diet. I hope that you are satisfied with information, but your doctor will give best therapy for you!

I am 36 years old and was diagnosed with relatively severe osteoporosis. I was told that there are no medications for women that want to continue having children. I feel lost on this subject and depressed. Any advice?