I had an assault. I end up with broken jaw. I am on the therapy right now. I would like to hear more about broken jaw healing. Should I call my doctor? It really hurts. Any replies?

Hi. I broke my jaw last month. I went to see my doctor immediately. You should seek medical help if you feel your teeth are not fitting correctly, if you have bleeding or problems speaking. The problem will be best evaluated at the hospital. If you experience breathing problems, that is really serious. Emergency department will handle your broken jaw the best. My doctor told me to apply ice to the jaw to control the swelling. I was given some pain killers and I had to eat a soft diet. My doctor also gave me a tetanus shot. You should know many broken jaws need surgery to be fixed. If your broken jaw is treated, healing will take one to two months.

Go see a doctor ASAP, you need x-rays and will probably need to have your jaw wired shut....otherwise your jaw could health wrong and your bite will be crooked.

**edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

Go see a doc immediately. If you wait any longer, your jaw could heal funny, leading to an improper bite pattern. There could also be complications such as getting an infection from the internal wound.

Check out broken-jaw.com for things like recipes, articles, and other info about your injury.

My jaw was broken last wednesday, i went to hospital and have just got out this evening. After x-ray i discovered that my jaw was broken in 2 places, one break was on the right side of my jaw towards the top and the second break was just to the left of my chin. I was told i would need surgery to correct this and therfore they operated yesterday and attached 3 metal plates into my jaw from inside my mouth. Aparently one of the breaks were very close to a nerve and so i was very lucky, at the moment my chin and lower lip are 100% numb and i cant feel them, ive been told it could take upto 2 years before i could re-gain feeling again, im very swolen and in alot of pain but ... im hoping that i do get the sensation back in my jaw soon as i couldent cope with this constant numbness. Anyone else been in the same situation?? i'd love to hear from you if you have.

Ben

hi ben...yeah mate your injury sounds exactly the same as mine... bloody painful but after about two weeks i feel okish. i too have vary limited feeling in my lower lip and also my chin im optimistic that ill recover at some point its just a little worrying as hot drinks are a disaster due to the many blisters I've encountered due to not realising how hot they actually were.lol. It just so annoying as every food I fancy I'm not alowed to eat as apparently for the next 6 weeks i should chew!! my girl friend keeps noting that in my sleep I do actually chew, however logically this is without resistance (from food).I'm convinced I could hew but she shouts so im always hungry! gos I love to moan!!! anyway pal it seems we'll just have to bear this inconvenience!! hop yours fixes properly ans sensation returns. take it easy

james

August 13th my jaw was broken in a robbery. The lower mandible was broken on the left side, near the back of my mouth. Initially the doctors put a plate a few screws in my mouth to hold everything together and wired me shut with 4 screws and 2 wires. About 12 days went by and the doctors decided to take the wires off because the plate was holding up well. The spot of the incision in my gums where the plate was inserted remained open this whole time and exposed. Another week or so went by when my face started to swell on a daily basis. I explained this to the doctors and they prescribed an antibiotic and told me to make sure it stayed clean. Seeing as I don't have health insurance I was not able to afford this antibiotic and another 2 weeks passed. I was able to open my mouth about 80% of what I could open it before but it remained sore during the entire time. Eating was painful as well. The day came to remove the metal plate from my mouth and be done and be all healed up and finished with the entire process. I went into surgery this past Monday optimistic and ready to move on. When I woke up from surgery my mouth was again wired shut and I noticed a back lower left molar missing. Eventually the doctors made it to my room and explained when they cut me open to remove the plate they found the infection had spread to the bone, and while the plate held everything together, the infection prevented the bone from healing at all. Now I am wired shut (AGAIN) for the next 6-8 weeks and missing a tooth-yet I am lucky to have a 2nd chance where many patients lose their jaw or need more complicated surgeries to fix this problem. It has been about 6 days since the surgery and I'm doing a lot to make sure everything heals up right. Don't smoke AT ALL if you are broken and wired up.

I got punched in september was advised to get plates put in to help wih recovery of the two fractured bones...I have two fractures one near the left bacc of my mouth that hooked under my wisdom tooth and another just to the right of my chin, so they had to remove my left wisdom teeth bottom and top then they inserted plates inside nd wired my jaw. the first two weeks went as expected then all of a sudden the swelling in he chin started increasing instead of decreasing. the doctors told me to keep ice on but it wasnt working for my chin at all so I then appplied a hot rag as per the advice of my grandmother after doing so I noticed a yellow reddish substance leaking from my mouth. I went to the emergency room they told me it was infected. That was third saturday after sugery. That monday doctors cut me open n drained a considerable amount of puss from my chin and then placed tubes to keep the wholes open so that the remaining puss can excape. They waited three days and took the tubes out due to the lacc of fluids still coming out. today is the fourth day since they took the tubes out and my chin still hurts it feels fake like it may be pussing up again. Im hoping its not the chin plate thats making me get infected. I know the feeling in my lips are supposed to be abnormal but when will the sensation return? and if anyone has advice about these chin plates that would be helpful.

I suffered from a very similar injury,
I fainted, landed on my chin and broke my left cheek bone and my chin
They placed 2 plates in my chin and my mouth was wired shut for a couple weeks.
I just wanted to know did the swelling go down, as i have been discharged from the hospital and finished all my treatments yet the left side of my face is still swollen and recognisable
I was just wondering whether or not it will go down gradually with time or if I would need to go back to my doctor to find out a way of reducing the swelling,
It'd help me a lot if I could hear from you, Thanks

Alex

Did ya'll have the jaw wired by the ER Dr?  I have a friend with no insurance and he can't find anyone to fix his broken jaw.  He was released from the hospital with it broken??? Can this be right?

HI My Lower jaw was broken badly7 weeksago, went to 2 hospitals & had surgery (fell- i have very bad R.A. so unsteady alot)..surgery, large incision inside mouthand plate w/ 5 screws placed into the Lower left of my chin...it started swelling bad after 2 weeks- but no infection found--ALSO NOTE! a dog attacked me -mild break-25 yr.s ago- it took a year, but the FELING DID come back! SO: The felling does usually come back- if you feel funny sensations like ants crawling on you- Good, as That is your nerve healing :) I look like Popeye still after 7 weeks- and Warm compress does work better!..rinse w salt water. I am allergic to antibiotics- there is a RX rinse 'Chlorhexidine', way cheaper, works great...I have no insurance either.be patient & wishing you all well- hope mine heals ok this time too!? I'll check back..bye...

PS. I meant "THE FEELING" does come back-sorry, had an appt at the jaw surgeon today, very tired..keeps poking me were it hurts, LOL.

Sounds just like me. The feeling will return in the lips and face slowly. Just gotta be sure to keep your mouth totally clean. Not doing so creates numb and sore ness. Cleaning may be difficult with the wiring. Before the wiring comes off the numbness may worsen as this is a sign of healing. For me the numbness was mostly on the lower jaw area, teeth and chin. I had the wiring off in November and I still have numbness and frequent pain and or awkward sensations in these areas. It is normal after having had an internal fixation to have scar tissue inside the mouth this scar tissue may also cause numbness and or weird sensations.

As for swelling is concerned my doctor told me ice for two weeks would do it but it made me infected after the first week. Heat shouldve been used the second week n back and fourth. If the swelling isn't going down and your still using ice after the first two weeks contact your doctor. He should make sure your wounds are healing normally and that there is no fluids trapped inside.

Hi Ben, My name is Debbie I too broke my jaw in two places. It's been 2 months and one of the fractures is still not healed. I have a severe infection and may need to have the plate removed and reinstalled. As far as the numbness, I am still very numb but am now able to move my lower lip. The docs in Toronto told me it could take up to six months. I am not allowed to eat for at least another month, providing I don't have to have surgery again. I had to travel 9 hours to get medical attention.  I'm so tired of not being able to eat and am so looking forward to sinking my teeth into a T-bone steak, lol. I hope all goes well for you!