About 3 months ago I had a car accident where I broke my left femur. They placed two screws near my knee and one at my hip, but now they than discovered that the two screws near the knee had broke, causing intense pain. So, they removed them. I was doing great the whole time, after the first surgery, but now I have to deal with it again. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on anything i can take to regain the muscle mass and strength. Any special exercises that could work?

While you are still healing after broken femur surgery, the best you can do to regain strength in your muscles is physical therapy. Muscles are usually injured in a femur fracture, and your hip and knee become stiff due to the injury and surgery. Complete recovery may take many months, depending on how bad the fracture was and requires the muscles and joints to heal as well. Your physical therapist will assess the recovery of your muscles and joints by measuring joint mobility and the return of muscle strength, flexibility, and coordination.

Approximately 4 months ago, I broke my left femur. The dr. says it is beginning heal. The dr. inserted a rod and nail to repair it. I am having difficult walking and a great deal of pain. Aqua therapy 3 xper wk.
Any one with advice on this or dealing with the situation?

Very discouraged!!!

Hang in there. Be patient, broken bones need quite a long time to heal. I broke my rt femur, left tib/fib together with my pelvis in June 06. I had rods inserted which remain, the nails (2) were removed as they were causing discomfort. I was not walking even with crutches until @8 months after, and it was a long slow process until full recovery. Continue with your P.T. and exercise program I have no doubt you will make a full recovery.

i broke my femur bone in a jet skiing accident in panama flordia... had emergency surgery there... i am in pain but mostly discomfort , but i am walking around on crutches... the doctor said i can put my full weight on that leg... it was my right leg, the femur snapped in half just missing my main artery. I have a rod and 2 pins in my leg.. i work off shore and i was wondering whats the time of recovery... i was a lil confused after the procedure because i didnt get a cast nor a spint?? is that normal?

yes that is normal i broke my left femur in 06 wake boarding i never got a cast or splint just a rod and 2 pins but the doc messed my pin up in my hip it was sticking out over an inch from where it should have been i found this out when i had a seconed surgery because i was haveing alot of pain just walkin 3 years after so know im sueing the doc for mal practice the second doc i had to remove the pin could not remove it because it was cross threaded and would not go in or out any farther so now i have a large scar on my hip because the doc had to cut me open more so he could cut the pin off flush with the bone im doing a little better now i still go to therapy twice a week its a real pain since im in the military and always on my feet with big loads on my back hiking and im only 21 thats what sucks

Hey whoever the guest is who broke your femur in a jet skiing accident. i did the same thing about a month after you. I was on a seadoo and fell off, then the sea doo came down on my leg breaking it right in the middle. Somehow it missed my femoral (sp?) artery too. I did pt for 2 months but now im doing this speed training. its awful. how are you doing?

I recently broke my femur in a bike accident . t happened april 26th, 2011 the day of my best friends birthday. It was after school, i was goiing to a HUGE hill and lost control. The bike started to swivel and was going to fast because i wasnt the right weight for the height ( i was to skinny :p). It was my first time i ever got surgery. Im still in the cast but i am getting out in 6 days on june 6th :D exactly 6 weeks from the 26 th of april. U can do exercises such as push-ups, sit- ups, crunches, walking, jogging, jogging lightly thru sand, walking thru water, wieght lifting, and swimming. (ect.)

Posted: May 31st,2011. Time: 12:53 pm

Hey... I have a few questions for you... I broke my femur about six months ago and the break itself is healing great however I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. My orthopedic surgeon did x rays to make sure the screws weren't backing out. He concluded they weren't and that I just had bursitis. He has given me two quarter zone shots in the last two months and it doesn't help. The pain I'm having is horrible it honestly feels lime a piece of the rod or screw is chipping away pieces of my hip. On top of every time it's cold the screw itself gets cold. I latterly have to defrost my leg. I know it sounds weird but it's true. I understand with the type of injury I have that weather will effect it. But why is it only in my hip? And why is the pain so extremely bad? My doctor doesn't seem to listen to me much and I don't have insurance. But iM only 24 and the pain is extremely depressing. And I refuse to continue getting these steroid shots and be on pain pills the rest of my life. I just want to understand why I broke my femur and my hip hurts?

Please let me know if you find out why your hip is hurting. A lady hit me on my motorcycle and I fractured my femur into 17 pieces. I had a rod and two screws put in. The dr says I can start getting ready to walk as soon as my pain goes away. I am having horrible, stabbing pain in the hip also.

My boyfriend broke his right femur last weekend in a snowmobile race, he also has two compression fractures in his spine.  He gets a sharp pain in his hip quite often.  We live in Central New York where the weather is cold quite often, what do you do to keep your leg warm? Are there any excersises that you do or did to keep some muscle strength early on.  They gave him a few to do at home, but I don't want him to lose to much.  What can I do to keep him some what comfortable, I know he doesn't want to be on pain medicince for long and I know he wants to get back to the garage to put the sled back together.  Help!!!

i got hit by a truck and broke my femur in half and i always wondered why my knee killed and not my thigh. In the end i just listenend to the doc and let time take its course now there is no pain anywhere, hang in their buddy!

I had a tumor removed from my left femur neck, bone graft and fixed with long screw and plate. The most pain I had was around the knee, which had never given me pain. My physical therapist has identified the tib-fib ligament as the problem and is working on that--if you have knee pain, please make sure someone helps you with this. Drs. don't mention this as a possibility and it has een the biggest hindrance to walking normally.

I had a spontaneous femur break after a hip replacement. Now my knee hurts. Doctor says it is from the plate he put in to fix the femur. I read your post and looked it up. I think I may have Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) which may be what you meant. The Tib Fib ligament is in the ankle.

I broke my femur Dec 1, 2014. It is now April 9, 2015 and I'm having severe pain in my hip and thigh. I had gotten to the point where I could walk without any assistance of a cane or walker and with minimal pain. Now I feel like I just took my brace off at 5 weeks. The pain is excruciating when I step on the leg. I have an appointment to see my doctor on the 14th but they said it's not normal and something is wrong. My doctor is out on vacation until the 14th. Has anyone had this set back?