I had surgery 11 months ago and still have no movement in my left eyebrow and lower eyelid, and my upper eyelid blinks more slowly than the right. My left lips draw upwards on the affected side and I have reduced reduced taste sensation. Is there still any chance that this will heal?

Hello, Ive noticed that this was posted a few years back.  My husband had jaw joint replacements on both sides 2 weeks back and are suffering the exact symptoms.  I was wondering if yours ever recovered?

I have had Bilateral TMJ Replacement on 8/12/13. My facial nerve was cut on both sides and it took 4 months for one side of my facial nerves to heal and about 5 months for the other. I've had set backs with it though (Had to recut the right side on 8/23/13 due to prosthetic joint rotating outwards. Had an operation on 5/5/14 to remove both prosthetic joints because they were both 1/2"-3/4" out of socket due to unknown anatomy issues. I will need at least one more operation to replace both TMJs again, within a couple more months.) This most recent surgery, 5/5/14, my right nerve was not cut (woo!), but my left one was. This time I am only having to tape my left eye shut, which is much nicer than taping both. With this nerve damage, you have to practice trying to close your eyes as tight as possible, smiling with both sides of lips then with each side separately, and trying to raise and furrow the eyebrows separate and together. It is a lot of work, but it is very possible to get the nerve function back. You just have to be patient, healing for the nerve is a 4-6 month process. One day it will just kind of be like a light switch was flipped on. Now, in a situation like mine where they have been cut multiple times already before they were finished healing, I am in serious risk of permanently losing all my facial nerve functions. It isn't fun or something I want, but having both TMJs replaced is worth it for me in the long-run.

I have had both TMJ joints replaced as well but at two separate surgeries. (Oct 2011 & Sept 2012) I found that it took almost a year before I had good sensation again. However I did sustain some permanent damage resulting in eye twitching and the left side of my mouth goes up when I close my left eye. It took forever for my smile to come back but it is still not what my pre-surgery smile was like. There is some nerve disturbance on the left side. But totally livable! Only I notice the difference. On both of my surgeries my eyes didn't close for 3 full months. I had to tape my eye shut to sleep. Keep doing what you are doing by trying to make the nerves work. My PT told me that will help force the nerves to find their correct pathway. Also massaging that area will help promote growth as well. I was referred to acupuncture by my neurologist. It was VERY helpful. I highly recommend this therapy. (on top of your regular PT of course.) The acupuncture for some reason helps the nerves find their correct growth pattern. I hope that this works for you. I started the second surgery 4 days post surgery. It has helped tremendously. You are only a little more than a month out of surgery. You will see more changes after 3 months. Hang in there and I hope that the acupuncture helps. It did wonders for me!

I think you might have been addressing me since you mentioned the just a little more than a month out of surgery.
If you were, trust me when I say I know the ins and outs of how to deal with the nerve issues throughout the face. Lol 3 times my facial nerves have been cut (both 1st 2 surgeries, just the left nerve luckily this time by some happenstance). My eyes haven't closed fully and properly since 8/2013 & I haven't smiled properly since then either, which I don't mind, but it is very noticeable to a lot of people. I make up ridiculous stories when people that don't know me pry about it, haha it provides me and friends with some laughter.
I'm also in the tape the eyes close to sleep camp. My left eye is really bad though, so I have to keep it taped at least 12 hours in addition to when I sleep, so I just tell people I'm in pirate training. Yeah, I'm in my late twenties & old for that stuff, but laughter is wonderful. :) -Mich

I had tmj surgery 2 years ago have facial nerve damage unable to raise right eyebrow numbness and face droops slightly lower than the left side I've been told if it doesn't come back after 2 years chances are it will never come back

I had jaw surgery nearly two yrs ago, i still have no feeling in left side of my face, chin , bottom lip and gums. I feel concious all the time as i slaver, bite my lip by accident and struggle drinking without it going down my chin. I feel miserable.

Hi. Teresa, 47 yo female...
I had both jaw joints replaced 2 weeks ago. Had other issues from degenerative arthritis and had a genioplasty, septoplasty, and plates from my upper jaws to my eye orbits. Lots of cadaver bone to rebuild my jaws. I cannot feel my new chin (my original chin had deteriorated down to nothing) and I have left side palsy. My left eyelid won’t close and I tape it shut at night. I know it’s such a short time post-op, but I’m really concerned about these nerve problems.

I had a jaw enlightenment 6 months ago and my left eye has been damaged and they said if it doesn’t get fixed in 6 months they will have to plan something.i can’t move my eye it’s still and causes the worst headaches and worst of all it’s never happened to any kid so they don’t know what’s going to happen in the future.