hi, i broke my sternum in a rta last night. im back home now but the pain killers arent working and it seems to be geting worse. should i be sat down doing nothing, if so how long for? or should i at least be trying to get some movement? also are there any exercises i can do that will aid my recovery?

Two years ago I had a really serious car accident. It resulted with a broken sternum

In my case, it was more serious than your injury. Mine required a surgical procedure :/

Usually, surgical repair is necessary if the bones move out of place like it was in my case, I was awake when I got to the hospital and I remember that I had so huge difficulty while I was breathing. Also, bone fragments may be removed, and the remaining pieces may be joined together with wires or a plate secured with screws. It can be really messed up especially because recovery process can last for a long time. 

I have also broken my sternum in a football match. The area has been “immobilized”, bones placed correctly and I even had to sleep in an armchair for a few first nights. Of course you can move nor not do any exercises, or anything heavy until the bone heals.
It all depends upon the level of your injury when you would heal and if you will need a physical therapy or not. So, remember, no exercises until you heal. You may hurt yourself even more and broken sternum is a treat to lungs.
My doc said that healing sometimes take up to six months but that I won’t take that long, maybe a month or so.
Yes, the pain is devastating although I do get some relief from painkillers. Talk to a doc about prescribing a stronger painkiller if U are not getting any relief from the ones you’re taking now.

i broke my sternum about a month ago and i am sitll in tons of pain, you just have to learn how to deal with it.

Sean - please make sure you breathe as deeply as you can to avoid lung complications. Extra strength Tylenol PM's will help you sleep at night and sleeping in a chair for the next 4/5 weeks is a good idea. Just pile those pillows around you, take your tablets and drift off. Hope you get better soon.

i broke my sternum last october. if you have 'broken' your sternum you would have been to hospital by now beacuae when i did, i couldnt move at all. you will have bruised them

I HAVE ALSO BROKE MY STERNUM IN RTA 4 WKS OK. IN HOSPITAL FOR 5 DAYS NOW AT HOME DEALING WITH PAIN. ON LOTS OF PAIN KILLERS AND MORPHINE AT NIGHT. I COULD ONLY SLEEP ON MY BACK BUT TO GET THERE WAS AGONY REAL AGONY AS YOU ALL NO. I CAN NOW GET UP ON MY OWN WITH ROPES TIED TO MY BED. MY BREATHING STILL HURTS AND MY LEFT SIDE. IM WORRIED THAT ITS NEVER GOING TO BE BETTER AS I HAD BAD PAIN THERE BEFORE RTA. ALSO WAS HOPEING TO GO BACK TO WORK BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET BETTER. IS THER ANYTHING YOU DID TO MAKE IT BETTER.

How did you get your bones immobilized? Was any surgery perform to you? Did you met an Orthopedic?

How are you feeeling now?

I injured my sternum a year ago and it is still not better. I know open heart surgery patients have healed a sternum after eight weeks. I hurt it doing push ups.

I also broke my sternum in rta, only just over two weeks ago, i'm still on slow release morphine and break through morphine almost every hour, it's the worst pain i've ever experienced, even worse than child birth. the only way I managed to sleep for the first week or so was with lots of pillows propping me up in bed and just slept when i could during the day, its the best way for your body to repair it's self x

This is pretty helpful advice if you'er suffering from a cracked or broken sternum like you've suggested. Do you have any other tips or hints on how to get better? I'd like to know because well you never know if you're going to break your sternum doing something and I'd like to be prepared. What else are you doing to get better?

Mine has been broken for 6 1/2 years now. It's fractured in two places and dislocated. I have had 2 surgeries now but the stabilization plates keep breaking. I am not supposed to do anything over 5 lbs...but It's still broken and causes me pain regularly. Sleeping is almost impossible. Bone Density and everything comes back normal, but the bone won't heal. :O(

I have also been on a bone stimulator and wear a TLSO brace.....it's been 6 months with those and still not healing. I use body pillows to sleep, but still need pain meds some nights. The more tired I get, the more it hurts. And of course the more I do physically each day, the more it hurts. Sooo frustrated. They are considering taking the sternum out entirely, but then I run the risk of my collar bone collapsing into my ribs...and leaving my heart w/o any protection.

I fractured my sternum snowboarding on day 2 of a 10 day trip overseas, spent the rest of the trip laid up in the unit (NOT HAPPY!)
The first 3 days was by fare the worst pain i have ever felt, even with a healthy does of pain killers and alcohol. Its been 3 weeks now and I'm still feeling pain if i move the wrong way and my shoulders are consistently stiff and sore. but whats really doing my head in is that I've been told that i cant do any exercise for at least 6 weeks, I've trained 4 to 6 days a week since i was a teenager (I'm now 33) its always been a form of stress release for me. but i don't want to do anything that's going to have adverse effects on the long term healing of my sternum.
I just want to do some push ups and go for a run. does anybody know if this will affect the healing of my sternum?

I was in a wall yoga class doing a crazy posture and heard a definite snap between my chest bone. I went for a chest xray but it didn't show a break but I am in terrible pain in the center of my chest. It has been a week and if I take a deep breath it hurts or putting pressure on my arms, it hurts in the center of my chest. Is it possible that it is something that the chest ex ray would not show.