I have read that botox injections into the prostate are very effective at improving urine stream and retention problems without the incontinence and retrograde ejaculation problems associated with surgery.

I understand that the injections would need to be repeated annually but that seems to be a minor inconvenience compared to the alternatives.

I think that the procedure has not been approved by the FDA but is that required anyway - can I just ask my urologist to do it and are there any side effects?

Honestly I had not heard about this technique but it sounds intriguing. I was mostly posting here to support you in talking to your urologist about it. Now I think that the FDA would actually have to approve of the procedure because it involves a drug. If it's merely a procedure, then the FDA does not have to approve of it. Keep us posted on what your urologist says.

several studies have found botox really helps, now, finding a
urologist that will do the proceedure is difficult. These Urologist
only do what they know, most won't go out and try new things,
they prefer expensive surgical solutions cause thats where the
money is. I am calling 5 urologist a day off internet looking for
someone who is an expert in botox, having found none yet.
Good luck and DO your research, don't take first urologist you
see. I am 65 and very active and healhty (except for bph)

See www.boto-medical.com/en, excellent urologists and experts in treating enlarged prostate (BPH) with botox injections AND they do take really care of foreign patients with extensive services from a-z, take make your stay a real pleasure. You can combine your Germany trip with sightseeing and very well leisure possibilities in Hamburg or Kiel or make a side trip to Berlin.

61 year old with severe bhp looking for urologist who uses botox  

Hi JD lawson,

see my post above concerning urologists and botox specialists in Germany.

this video is very encouraging. along with everything I have read. Harvard Medical, John Hopkins and Mayo, in research commentaries regard this procedure as very promising. the clinical studies are ongoing and hopefully it is just a matter of time before this procedure will replace surgery, which I personally regard as quite barbaric, though offered with genuineness and can be helpful in many instances. I don't like the possible risks. I am not sure how much influence the Pharma industry has on the acceptance of Botox protocol. Certainly anyone on the prescript regimes, flomax, avodaart, or Proscar, are indebted for these drugs, but the promise of botox is exquisite. Pharma is not interested much in cures, the money and profits are in disease management so they might well hinder any forward movement toward Botox treatment. I am 75 with BPH for some years, fortunately with very benign symptoms, no nocturia, or urgency etc. Just retrograde. Cialis is another support for BPH to insure strong flow . there is a 28 day version available and it does assist to keep urine stream strong. Use Saw palmetto (good quality) there are a lot of inferior qualities out there. We need more urologists with BPH to further the cause. but let's keep each other posted on urologists in Canada or US using Botox therapy. or if you know of any clinical trials looking for candidates, let us know. germany is a terrific option, but I am on a retirement income in Canada. don't give up and keep talking to your urologist. I have a great urologist who is patient with me and my "big prostate", very good at the laser surgery, but I am not prepared to take on any risks with Botox on the horizon. and my symptoms are benign after many years.

will look in to that. have you gone and had it done. thanks for info peter

any news? I've checked the Boto Medical website and service. It looks reliable and very promissing to me too. Where is Peter? I'm ready to do this but would like to have ones feedback who was in Germany.

I wrote this posting and I am still eagerly awaiting any word on botox and BPH protocol. Certainly the 5mg of Cialis is a good protocol to control and mange BPH symptoms. I have stopped Flomax with the use of Calis. and saw palmetto is a must. - good quality brand.

@Alan, I'm sorry not responding to you. Please accept my apologies. Yes indeed I was visiting Boto Medical in Germany and have made the Botox injections. I can report only positive things. Dr. Seif is very good. Excellent explanations in any detail and questions I had. The best, I feel much better after the treatment. I do not notice any symptoms any more! I'll go definately for a 2nd time. Many thanks... 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi. I am curious about the costs, and the time it took to get it all done. And how you are feeling after almost a year. Any issues with libido?

had botox done in mexico---helped but only lasts about 7-8 months then would have to have another injection---forget germany pure silliness to take your money unless you have it to throw away--at this point looks like the prostate artery embolization is best bet--done in brazil etc--non surgical. Hate to see folks throw money re Germany for a short term effect-- prostate artery embolization looks permanent and there are new devices like UroLift without surgery as well--if botox Mexico (Not Germany) but for the short term effect better the other choices

hi,
Botox is proven to be effective to the prostate infection. Howver, medically, it has not been proven. If you do not want to choose surgery treatment, you can take another alternative such as herbal medicine. Herbal medicine like diuretic and anti-inflammatory pill has patented by SIPO. And it has been proven to be effective to the BPH and prostatitis. You can find it by googling it.

I am a 74 year old, long time BPH sufferer. I was involved with the BPH/Botox Study about 5 years ago, and it relieved my symptoms astonishingly well, with absolutely no side effects. Unfortunately, the relief abated after about a year. Of course, now I take a couple of subscribed prostate medications, but they are no where near as effective as the Botox shot. Corruption and bureaucracy are preventing this wonderful treatment from we millions of BPH sufferers in the US. What a shame. Makes me both sad and angry.