Hi, my husband had laser prostate surgery four weeks ago. It seams that he has some post op problems, and I need to know why is this happening. He has blood in his urine, and before he goes to the doctor, I would like to hear what you think about this.

I had laser prostate surgery a year ago. It went well, but I had some post op problems in the next couple of weeks. I was experiencing urinary urgencies, so I couldn’t leave my home for more than one hour. I also had some blood in my urine, which scared me because I thought that I have some serious post op complications. However, it turned out that it happens to many patients who just had a laser prostate surgery. But don’t think that you shouldn’t tell your doctor about this only because it happens to other people too. You must inform your doctor about every change that happens after the surgery. All those symptoms are gone now, and I am fully recovered. I hope you’re husband will get better too.

I had the procedure two and a half months ago(9/19/06) and I went thru all the same things your husband is experiencing. I was still getting a little blood in the urine periodically well into my second month. Another thing that really blew my mind was that I was also passing bits of what I will call scabs, some pretty good sized. That's all behind me now and the only thing I'm experiencing now is urgency and some "leakage", which only happens when
I'm exerting myself in a bent over position, like when I lift something. Only time will tell whether or not that will work itself out. I hope so. As far as frequency is concerned, that's pretty much the same as it always was. An enlarged prostate will always be an enlarged prostate. One more thing. The muscles that surround the bladder that squeeze it to get the water out get thick and tough from having to squeeze so hard to start the flow of water from the bladder. After the surgery they no longer have to strain to empty the bladder but because they have had to work so hard over the preceding months or years, it takes a long time for them to return to normal and get used to relaxing for a change. So that's another part of the recovery which takes a while. Hope this helps shed a little light on the matter.

Thanks for the info, Wiff! That explains why when I urinate, it burns somewhat, but the stronger than normal muscles push out the urine so hard that the pain puts me on my tiptoes.

I had my PVP on December 4th (over 3 weeks ago), but I had no idea the recovery time would be so long. I still have to urinate too frequently, but only during the nighttime hours. (I hope this gets better with time.) I still bleed at the end every time when my bladder is empty, probably from the bladder spasm, which in turn seems to cause the bleeding. The pain is sometimes excruciating, which I feel in the tip of my penis. My doctor says this pain is really from the prostate area itself, and is "referred" to the nerve endings in the penis. He also adds that it may take many weeks for the lasered area to "recoat" itself, before the pain subsides appreciably.

Anyone out there that had this surgery some time ago? Please comment to the rest of us what we have to look forward to in the coming weeks, and does it ever really feel "normal" again?

Thanks!

I had the surgery (green light laser) at a university center in late Oct. 2006. After an overnight stay with an indwelling catheter I went home. I was unable to urinate on my own 4 hours later and had to go to an ER for a stat catheterization. I was in great discomfort. I though my bladder was going to burst. They removed 450 cc. I was able to urinate on my own after the catheter was removed 2 days later. After this I had a period of continuous bleeding with small to intermediate sized clots, but no heavy bleeding. This lasted 6-7 weeks. I had at one point a larger clot that acted as a ball valve and would block my urine stream just after I started to pee. This was very uncomfortable. I could dribble pee and still empty my bladder though so I didnt have to go back to the hospital. This lasted about 2 days when I passed a brown, lima bean sized clot and the problem stopped. I am now 9-10 weeks out. I am experiencing marked urgency now. I can only go 1-2 hours without getting up at night and I only pee 50-100cc. Last night I was up all night as I had continuous urgency and could only pass 5-10 cc at a time. This is very discouraging and I hope it is just a stage of healing I am passing through. I also experience discomfort at my penile tip during urination but from what I have read on-line this is not uncommon. I have only tried sexual relations three times since about 6 weeks after surgery. I am experiencing retrograde ejaculation, which doesnt hurt and I was told it could occur but what they dont tell you is that it markdely decreases orgasmic intensity. I cant really even tell if I have had an orgasm. I dont know if others are experiencing this problem too. I have no problem with getting and maintaing and erection and I stiil have sexual desire but if this problem doesnt improve I would warn others about this 'side effect'. I have had a rocky road with this procedure and I cant say whether it was worth it or not. Although my flow rate has improved and I was having less
nocturnal discomfort, the urgency and frequency I am now having coupled with the loss of sexual enjoyment have me wondering if it was worth it. The surgery itself was a breeze as I had a spinal and felt or remembered nothing.

Thanks for all the good information. I can see that your US medical care is lacking. I had Green Laser (80 Watts) operation in Canada. Immediately after the operation I had bladder irrigation with dual 3750 CC salt solutions hung on a walking post near the bed to clear all the blood clouts. It went through 5 day stay at the hospital; about 100 plastic bags of 0.9% Sodium Chloride. It works like titration. One line went in, and the other line went out to a big plastic bag. Nurses came check often and replace the empty back and start the other bag.

I was able to pee within 30 minutes after the removal of the special catheter. Only the very first time peed some blood. It was due to the lacerations of fast removal of that big catheter (French 20 size).

The cost of above in the USA could run up to what dollar figure? Any ideas?

Diabetic condition would cause the nautical condition as well ( get up many times in the night) Twice is normal. Filtered water is recommended. Try to drink 2000 cc a day before 4 PM daily).

You may not have type 1 diabetes. However, the fat on the belly will make insulin less effective. This is type 2 diabetes. So cut down sugar intake and do not use astatine sugar substitute. Because, when it is used in a hot coffee it will change into uriformaldehyde and causes cancer. For more information you could contact me vial e-mail
**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I have to respond to "Guest" from Canada. First of all I'm married to a Canadian and have in-laws in Canada so I know a little something about the vaunted Canadian health care system. I had the green light laser procedure on Sept. 13. '06. The procedure was done in the doctors office(no hospital required). The laser used was the latest model, namely a 120 watt laser. Seems the 80 watt laser down here is considered antique equipment according to my urologist. Within 3 hours after the procedure I was sitting home in my living room with a catheter inserted in my penis and a bag strapped to my leg. The next morning as I was having my shower I removed the catheter, per instructions, and shortly thereafter took a whiz with only a slight burning in the tip of the penis, which went away after a couple of days. I am now fully recovered, as I have been for over a month, with no problems and my total out-of-pocket cost was less than $75.00. Have a nice day.

Just wondering how you're doing. It took me about 3 months before I before I began to feel "normal" again. It went by stages. One problem would resolve itself only to be replaced by something else and just when I figured that I was thru it I would go take a whiz and see blood in my urine. But I had made up my mind that I would give it at least 3 months before making an appointment with the urologist. As for the retrograde ejaculation and orgasm, I don't know how old you are but I'm an old guy and the retrograde ejaculation was a blessing in disguise. No fuss, no muss. As far as the orgasm thing, mine were somewhat weaker for a while but now they're so strong I feel like my whole body is in spasm. So hang in, be patient and I'm sure will work out(if they haven't already).

I am 66 and in 2000 the size of my prostate was 120 cu. cm. as determined by ultra-sound. All I get from my current urologist is that today it is the size of a plum and I have seen plums as small as a walnut and as big as a tennis ball. For a couple of years I have been having ever increasing blockages and have been using a self-catheter which usually leads to a uninary tract infection.

I had been told for years that I would need open surgery due to the large size of my gland and I finally agreed to go that route. My Dr. asked me to wait a couple of weeks as he was going to use the new higher powered GreenLight laser on a patient with a large prostate. He is watching the progress of that patient to see which surgery he will recommend.

It would be helpful if people posting to this site would give their age, size and symptoms. Thanks.

Hi Guys. I just wanted to thank you all after reaing your postings. I am 2 weeks out following PVP surgery and was having some symptoms(mainly severe burning at the tip of my penis after urination) I just didn't understand. I am 48 and in the medical field(PA) and I did a lot of reading prior to making my decision for surgery. The surgery itself was a breeze. The catheter coming out the next day was no joke though. I noticed passing a few scabs the later part of last week. I've had almost no bleeding until yesterday. The burning sensation seems to be subsiding. Frequency and urgency significantly increased after surgery but seem to be subsiding as well. I've read that retrograde ejaculation is a given and was told that it would no effect my orgasms. Readings don't support that comment. It is a relief to read that it does get better over time though. It would have been nice to have had this information(or found this site) up front. Again, I appreciate being able to read and find some relief in your comments.
Contemplating... As stated above, I am 48. For the last couple of years I have been having trouble with frequency, urgency, hesitation, dribbling, and double voiding(urinating twice in less than an hour). The size of my prostate wasn't measured by ultrasound. I was told it was about the size that would be expected in a 75yo. I was started on Uroxatrol which didn't help my symptoms significantly as medicines only acts on 1 of the 3 types of tissues in your prostate. There are different types of lasers for different types of prostate growth problems. The type of procedure you need is determined by findings on your cystoscope. Your prostate grows in all directions. Growth toward the outside is not usually a problem once cancer is ruled out. Inward growth is the reason you're having to use a catheter. The PVP procedure basically burns a hole through the tissue obstructing your prostate. The procedure has been around a few years but is still considered relativelynew but it certainly beats the old TURP. There is a lot of good material on the internet. Do some reading and I'm sure you'll decide against the open procedure. Also, get a second opinion and be comfortable with YOUR decision. Remember, its you that has to live with the consequences of the outcome.

It seems that Indigo Laser prostate surgery is not all that effective--I had it in 10/06. I still have problems, primarily nocturia, and I'm back on Uroxatrol. My urologist insists it's not a prostate problem but that my bladder is still irritated from the surgery and has to adjust to the trauma. But then the Uroxatrol seems to be working. I think I should have had Greenlight laser surgery, the gold Standard or equivalent to TURP but my doctor opposes that.

Richard

I had Green Laser Surgery in January and am almost 8 weeks out. I really had no pain from the surgery and a limited amount of blood during the first few weeks. What pain I did have resulted from the catheter which I wore for one day. Frequency was dramatically reduced almost immediately and restoration of flow was also dramatic. It wasn't until week 7 that I passed some large scabs. This has now subsided. All in all, I think that the surgery was a great success. I'm very pleased that my Urologist convinced me to have it.

Thanks writers. This is the best info I've come across, including from the medics.

The pain in the end of the penis, bleeding after being home a week, passing blood clots that felt like bricks.

Where is the list of 'don't do this' that we need?

Don't ejaculate for two months.
Dont exercise unduly.
Don't ride a bike ( I think that caused my bleeding)
don't sit for too long.
Take some exercise.

Someone ought to write the patient leaflet!

You are absolutely right. I am well off in my second month of my surgery, in which my doctor removed my prostate. Now, I have so much pain in my penis and I can not control my urine. I also have a headache throughout the day> Can please tell me how are you feeling now and are You able to live a normal life?? Please respond back immediately.

ThanK You.

It's been one week yesterday since I had the procedure. Surgery went well and have experienced the same tenderness of the urethral passage, passing of scabs and stuff that looks like rust, and a couple of alarmingly large clots. I still urinate blood each day but there are long intervals when no blood is passed at all. My doc was very upfront about what to expect. The urgency issue is beginning to decrease and there are still a few minor leakage accidents. I'll try sex when I am confident it won't be a problem. I was back to work 3 days after surgery and only then did I find out most people take 1 or 2 weeks off.