Can you please give me more information about Maxide! Thank you

Maxide is a brand-name for hydrochlorothiazide. It is a diuretic used for controlling high-blood pressure and for reducing edema i.e swelling of the body tissues due to fluid build up. Diuretics increase the amount of urine passed, which causes the body to lose water and salt. You have to be careful when using this drug because it may lead to potassium loss and you may experience negative side effects. If you are about to take this drug, talk to your doctor about taking potassium supplements.

I am taking 15 mg coumadin. Very high dose.. I am to limit potassium intake as this affects my INR... so how do I balance the restriction with the depletion from Maxide would I suppose?

Certo is incorrect. Maxide is a combination product with both HCTZ and triamterene. you usually do NOT need potassium supplements.

A Pharmacist

Actually, loss of fluids from our bodies can and do create an imbalance of electrolytes which of course, keep our hearts beating. Drugs which pull fluids from our bodies will expedite potassium loss, thus, one may expect to die, have a stoke, heart attack or break a limb as they faint and fall. I don't understand why Physicians, Pharmacist, Drug Companies don't study elecrolytes since they are the single most important minerals our bodies cannot live without. I cannot begin to count all the people I know personally who took blood pressure drugs and experienced one of the maladies mentioned above. I shake my head in non belief.

I cannot even being to go into all the reasons the last "guest" post is just wrong. Let's begin with heart failure. That's the best reason for using a diuretic. That extra fluid, if allowed to build up, will kill a patient in heart failure. Of course, when you pull electrolytes off, you also pull off H2O, which keeps them in balance in the blood. Yes, electrolytes are important, but it's also important to keep them in balance. Too much is just as bad, if not worse, than too little. Perhaps you need to go back to school and study a bit more. Look up hyperkalemia and hypernatremia. Yes, I'm also aware of hypokalemia and hyponatremia.

Oh, and people on diuretics have their electrolytes checked regularly, to prevent imbalances.

FIRST OF ALL IT IS CALLED MAXZIDE, WITH A Z IN IT. THE TRIAMTERINE IS WHAT IS CALLED A POTASSIUM-SPARING DIURETIC WHICH CAN ACTUALLY LEAD TO HIGH POTASSIUM LEVELS IN THE BODY BECAUSE IT CAUSES YOU TO RETAIN POTASSIUM.

Maxzide is a diuretic. These drugs are commonly referred to as "water pills." Maxzide contains two diuretics that work together to keep electrolyte levels in balance. Hydrochlorothiazide, while effective, often causes low potassium levels in the blood. On the other hand, triamterene is a "potassium-sparing" diuretic, meaning that it can actually increase potassium levels in the blood. When taken together, these medications balance each other out.

Taken from:
blood-pressure.emedtv.com/maxzide/maxzide.html

Maxzide contains two diuretics that work together to keep electrolyte levels in balance. Hydrochlorothiazide often causes low potassium levels in the blood. On the other hand, triamterene is a "potassium-sparing" diuretic, meaning that it can actually increase potassium levels in the blood. When taken together, these medications balance each other out.

wher can i get help with the cost of this medicine?