Hello everyone,

My friend was feeling bad and weak for the last couple of months and he eventually ended up in the hospital. While he was staying there, the doctor did some analysis, they saw that he has a chronic heart failure (which my friend doubted already because of his family's medical history) and that he has oedema of liver failure.

I'm not very positive about this even though his doctors told him that "this is no big deal". He is supposed to take some kind of pills or tablets, I don't even know what they are, called Diuretics. 

Can you tell me anything about these?

Hey Stradivarius,

I'll tell you a bit about diuretics since I was using them at one period of my life.

There are 4 different types of diuretics for treating different conditions and diseases. These four types are thiazide diuretics, loop diuretics, potassium-sparing diuretics and aldosterone receptor antagonists.

Diuretics stimulate the kidneys to remove more water and salt (sodium) from the body. This can help relieve swelling that happens because of heart failure. These medicines are used if you have heart failure symptoms of fluid buildup. Diuretics are often used with ACE inhibitors and may be combined with other medicines.

Most people don't any side effects.

Hey you two,

Health n Joy is right about the types of diuretics he wrote, but I found out that there are two more, osmotic diuretics and carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. 

The diuretics that are used for oedema are the ones that Health n Joy wrote above me, potassium-sparing diuretics.

Potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, amiloride, triamterene) are weak diuretics, whereas spironolactone and eplerenone are used in the treatment of hypertension, oedema of liver failure, and heart failure. Spironolactone and eplerenone are also called aldosterone antagonists.

The side effects of diuretics are rare, the most common one is more often urination, but it happens generally to people who are using loop diuretics.

Hi everyone,

Regarding the side effects that Alan mentioned above, there are more side effects related to diuretics which are dizziness, headaches, low sodium in your blood, increased thirst, muscle cramps, increased blood sugar, increased cholesterol, rash, joint disorders (gout), impotence, menstrual irregularities and breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia). 

Now, I just wrote these in order for you to know them but keep in mind that these are very, very rare side effects and even if someone has some of them, they should improve in about a week when you start using diuretics. I have I friend who is using diuretics and they are known to be pretty safe.

Hello there guys. Sometimes diuretics are used as a heart disease treatment and they are known as water pills. They have one purpose – to help your body get rid of unwanted and unneeded water and salt through the urine.

They are definitely for long term use. But you need to be aware that there are so many side – effects when it comes to this medication. My friend had a tons of it and some of them were dizziness, nausea, stomach issues and sometime she was struggling with diarrhea. I believe that every pill has its own side – effects.

Have a nice day.

Hey guys.

I do know a little bit about this.

A diuretic is a medicine which can increase the amount of water that you pass out from your kidneys and a diuretic causes an increase in urine. Sometimes they are called water tablets like other members already told you.

There are different types of diuretics and loop diuretics are one type. They include torasemide, furosemide and bumetanide.

They are used in the treatment of heart failure, especially if the fluid accumulates around your heart's tissue. In that case you need to drain excess fluid and you can do that with a help of diuretics.

Hello everyone.

Diuretics are the cornerstone of the treatment of volume overload in patients with heart issues. A few clinic trials have studied the impact of diuretic therapy on clinical outcomes but unfortunately I am not aware of them.

Diuretics remain a major component of drug therapy in both the hypertension and heart failure.

I am sure that my friend was using osmotic diuretics for the treatment of cerebral oedema and my friend was using carbonic anhydrase inhibitors as well.

I am pretty sure that those medications don’t have any side – effects. Well, maybe there are some of them but not a lot, so everyone can use them without fear.

Good day all of you.

My aunt is a medical worker and I remember that once she told me that the best diuretic for oedema are loop diuretics. They are very strong and they increase the amount of the urine in your kidneys very quick. So they are often prescribed when someone is having oedema as a result of kidney failure.

Generally diuretics are medicines that remove water from your body by increasing the amount of the urine in your kidneys produce. Like others told you, they are known as a water tablets because of it.

I hope that this is helpful.