My husband noticed that his ankles on legs started swelling and forming something like oedemas. It didn’t harm him that much, but soon later he was diagnosed high blood pressure. As oedemas were associated with certain dysfunctions and disorders of his blood vessels, he got spirnolactone as a therapy. I have heard that this medication works as diuretic, but I don’t know much about its mechanism of action on oedemas and blood vessels. Please post if you are more experienced. Thanks.

Spironolactone has effect on kidneys to excrete more fluids and salts, but to retain potassium. Promotion of the output of urine lowers blood pressure, because it decreases amount of fluids in body. Oedemas also can be managed with spironolactone. Mechanism of action of spironolactone is based on inhibition of aldosterone, that is hormone produced by adrenal glands and that caused retention of fluid and salts. As aldosterone is inhibited excretion can be increased. Spironolactone is used in treatment of congestive heart failure, which can be manifested with oedemas.