Hello! My grandmother had lupus nephritis while she was alive. Regarding the fact that cause of autoimmune diseases is still unknown, I am concerned that lupus nephritis can be a hereditary disease. Also, I want to know following: can lupus nephritis cause weight gain? I have heard some stories, but I want to check this with you.

Hello! You have not told me, but I assume that you are facing weight gain, right? Besides weight gain, lupus nephritis has many other symptoms. There are: high blood pressure, then swelling (especially around the fingers, legs, ankles and eyes); urine is dark because it contains blood… To be completely sure if you have or not lupus nephritis, you will need to do medical exams.

Hello Sheri,

Unfortunately if you are afraid that you might be suffering from lupus nephritis you will need to consult your doctor as soon as possible. I am sure that this is not the answer you want to hear but the sooner something is diagnosed the better are chance to deal with it.

It is very difficult to understand auto immune disease and the reason why your body is suddenly fighting against you. Some additional symptoms of lupus nephritis are: blood in the urine, foamy appearance to urine, high blood pressure and swelling of any area of the body.  

If you don’t know any other cause of your weight gain than you should definitely visit your doctor and try to get the right diagnosis.