I have heard it is estimated that about a third of patients with lupus will develop kidney disease. I know it must require medical evaluation and treatment. It scared me because I have diagnosed with lupus few months ago. I know how bad diseases is lupus on its own, now and kidney disease. Then I asked my doctor who told me that is true lupus nephritis is an important and potentially serious symptom of lupus. Can you tell me more about the problem that I might suffer soon?

There are very few signs or symptoms of lupus nephritis, which is common kidney disease that happens because of lupus primary. It does not cause any pain in the abdomen or back, nor does it cause pain during urination. The loss of protein in the urine from lupus nephritis may lead to fluid retention with weight gain and swelling that is called edema. This may result in puffiness in the legs, ankles or fingers that is often the first symptom of lupus nephritis noted by the patient. The clinical course of kidney disease with lupus is highly variable. Often findings of lupus nephritis are evident only in urine studies, where in many patients, the urine abnormalities are very mild. These abnormalities may be present on one examination and absent the next. This form of lupus nephritis is rather common and, generally does not require any special medical treatment. Sad fact is that patients with this type of lupus nephritis are at risk for loss of kidney function. They may require additional studies to evaluate the extent of their lupus nephritis and to determine the best treatment for this kind of kidney disease caused by lupus.