Hello! My grandmother had lupus nephritis while she was alive. Regarding the fact that cause of autoimmune diseases is still unknown, I am concerned that lupus nephritis can be a hereditary disease. So, I want to know how lupus nephritis can be diagnosed. Also, I want to know is lupus nephritis hard to diagnose.

Hello! Lupus nephritis is not easy for diagnosing at all, because some patients do not have any obvious symptom of this disease. If your doctor suspects that you may have lupus nephritis, you will need to do some medical exams. You will need to test urine and blood. If you have lupus nephritis, then in your urine will be found blood or protein; and in your blood will be high levels of creatinine and urea. Maybe kidney biopsy will be performed, too. But, before all of these tests, must be diagnosed that you are suffering from autoimmune disease.