Hello! It is diagnosed that my older sister (she is 39 years old) is suffering from lupus nephritis. We have never had this disease in our family in the past and it is strange to me because she got it. I want to know what is happening if lupus nephritis is untreated. I am thanking you in advance!

Hello! If it is diagnosed that your sister is suffering from lupus nephritis (and you said that it is), then it is very important to follow treatment exactly as her doctor prescribed her. I am telling you this because untreated lupus nephritis leads to bigger damage of kidneys, which leads to transplantation, but it is nothing strange if untreated lupus nephritis has death as a result.

Hello there,

Lupus nephritis is an autoimmune disease and this means that there is a problem with the body's immune system. As we all know our immune system is helping our body to defend from various attackers such as bacteria and viruses. But when someone, like your sister, is suffering from autoimmune disease the body doesn’t know the difference between good and bad substances and as a result the body is attacking healthy cells.

Since you are asking what is happening if left untreated I believe it is enough to say that the goal of the treatment for lupus nephritis is to improve kidney function and to delay kidney failure. I believe that this says everything because kidney failure leads to death in most of the cases.