Hello! My grandmother had (while she was alive) lupus nephritis. I am afraid that lupus nephritis is a hereditary disease and that is why I want to know what the symptoms of lupus nephritis are. I really hope that someone here will know something more about this and that will inform me. Thank you in advance!

Hello! I will tell you first this: it is not known if lupus nephritis is a hereditary disease and I can tell you that many doctors doubt in that claim (that it is). Regarding the symptoms of lupus nephritis, I can tell you that at some patients they are obvious, but at some they are not. Signs that someone has lupus nephritis are dark urine, high blood pressure, weight gain and swelling. But, before diagnosing lupus nephritis each doctor will do urine and blood exams.

Hey there Fedora,

Unfortunately they are claiming that lupus nephritis is hereditary condition and most of us are terrified if someone in the family had something that is hereditary.

This is an autoimmune disease and until now no one can say why autoimmune diseases are appeared. Basically this means that your body started to fight against you and it is attacking healthy cells and healthy tissue.

The most common symptoms of this condition is high blood pressure, visible swellings, weight gain (but be careful about this one because you can gain weight for many other reasons) and dark urine.

If you are suspecting that you may be suffering from lupus nephritis go and see your doctor as soon as possible. after some tests you will know for sure.