i am pregnant and I am a type 1 diabetic and the doctor wants to put me on a insulin pump because I have gestational diabetes.  I am wondering if I am on an insulin pump will I gain too much weight?  I don't think it would be healthy to gain too much while I am pregnant.  I would like someone's opinion about it. 

Hello Guest. You have concerns about gaining weight on the insulin pump. It is probable that you may gain weight by being on the pump but not necessarily.  Since you have been on insulin all this time, you will probably notice no difference.  Insulin through the pump for some diabetics will cause the carbs (glucose) to be used as energy, which could cause weight gain.   You can watch your carbs and exercise to control your blood sugars.  Try walking, swimming, elliptical machine, and other types of activity to help with your gestational diabetes.  Your doctor can help you if you are gaining too much weight during your pregnancy that is unhealthy. 

If there are any other women out there who had gestational diabetes, what would your advise be?  How did you gain a safe amount of weight during your pregnancy?  What activities did you add to your daily routine?

You'll probably gain weight, but I don't think you'll gain much more than you would anyway with the baby. Over the coarse of a pregnancy, you can expect to gain plenty of weight naturally. I believe you and the baby will be okay regardless. Like ybanks said, youre weight can probably be kept down by excercising. You should also keep your insulin intake as low as is safe, to decrease weight gain. If it really concerns you, you may want to look into different types of insulin. One type, Levemir, was found to increase weight gain less than a more traditional kind, NPH.

If you are type I diabetic, your body doesn't produce any insulin and if left uncontrolled, this condition is fatal. And given the fact that you're pregnant, your main concern needs to be keeping yourself healthy, so you can deliver the healthy baby. So, you need to discuss this with your ob-gyn, of course, but there is some risk of infection associated with placement of insulin pump, so you will also need to have to see both an endocrinologist and diabetes counselor that will teach you on the proper use, timing and potential side effects. Given the situation, I'm sure they will monitor your weight closely as well, but since they detect gestational diabetes mainly after the end of the second trimester, it's far more important that you have stable blood glucose levels, then to worry about weight gain that might - or more likely might not happen,

Wish you all the best,

Nicole