Hello, folks. My close friend has been diagnosed with cyclotimia. I know that this is a sort of mood disorder. I would like to know if psychotherapy can help here. I cannot find much on the internet about this topic, so I would appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Hello. Cyclothimia is a form of chronic mental disturbance. It manifests with mood swings and depression. This is not a condition which would require hospitalization. It can be treated in ambulance conditions. In many cases, psychotherapy can help here. However, if a psychiatrist decides to include medications, then one should take them. Your friend should be regular at his appointments with his psychiatrist. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hallo,
I think that you might be referring to cyclothymia. The wrong spelling got me confused a bit there. This condition is a mild form of bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is manic depression illness. Your friend might have often mood swings that can happen in period of many years. His depression might turn in to euphoria and excitement. I think that treatment is often done with mood medication and antidepressants. There is also a talk therapy that can help people who experience cyclothymia. As you can he the therapy will be helpful but he can not do anything without medication. He will need to consult his doctor first before taking anything on his own. I hope this helped you both.