Hello! My aunt is taking Valtrex. She is 55 years old and suffers from cold sores (Herpes Labialis). As soon as she feels burning and itching she takes Valtrex for two days every eight hours. She has constant problem with her kidneys, and she is not that young any more. I am afraid that she is not taking this medicine properly and I would like to know what should she watch while taking Valtrex?

Hi! It is nice that you take care of your aunt. Well, it is good that she takes Valtrex (Valacyclovir) as soon as she feels early symptoms. But, she is not taking it properly. It is recommended to take only two 2 grams doses in one day every twelve hours. Also, she has to know that this medicine doesn’t cure but only tranquilizes the symptoms. It is important to know that reduced dosage is recommended for patients with renal impairment. For example, if Creatinine Clearance (ml/min) is lower than 10 only 500 mg single dose in one day is allowed. Usual side effect could be nausea, headache or dizziness. Of course, if you notice any serious side effects such as tachycardia, visual abnormalities, rash or confusion she should visit her doctor right away.