Hello! My grandmother sometimes uses naproxen to relieve pain in her back. She didn’t consult her doctor and I am very worried since I heard Naproxen could cause heart attack and stroke. Although she is old her health condition is very good. She has never been ill and this pain in her back is the only problems she has. Since she hasn’t visited her doctor often she doesn’t have the habit to consult him on anything. What are the chances that Naproxen will cause heart attack and stroke?

Hi! When I decide to use some medicine without my doctor’s consultation I always read the complete instruction. So, if your grandmother doesn’t want to see her doctor at least she should read all about Naproxen. If a patient has a history of heart diseases like high blood pressure, heart failure or heart attack Naproxen is not the right choice. It can increase the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer Naproxen is used. Since your grandmother didn’t have such problems I don’t think she would have any problems if she uses Naproxen occasionally but if I were her I would consult my doctor anyway.