Hello! My friend recommends taking four pills of Famvir, twice a day for two days for an active outbreak. She has been having problems with genital herpes for years, she visited many doctors and she said she has experience. She also said that once you get herpes virus in your body it is forever. I am not sure if her advice is correct and I am not sure what to do?

Hi! Well you didn’t give me enough information in order to provide you the complete answer. Famvir is used for treatment of acute Herpes Zoster as well as Genital Herpes, Herpes Labialis or Herpes Simplex infections. Since you are mentioning Genital Herpes I assume that this is your case. You also said “four” pills but you didn’t mention the precise dosage since there are tablets of 125 mg, 250 mg and 500 mg. It is very important to know the dosage. For recurrent genital herpes the dosage is 1000 mg every twelve hours, but just for one day. It is important to start with Famvir when the first signs of outbreak are present, which means not longer than six hours after. And your friend was right, Famvir doesn’t cure genital herpes and it is true that it stays with you forever. But, I would recommend talking with your doctor before taking Famvir or any other medicine.