My mum had a hip replacement about 5 years ago. Over the last 2 weeks or more she's had severe leg and hip pain to the point she canhardly move. The doctor says its sciatica but I didn't think it's possible seen as though it's been replaced. The meds she's been given aren't even lowering the pain what so ever. 

Hi Shelley,

It IS possible.  Sciatica is caused by an irritation to nerves.  There are nerves that run near the hip but they should be intact.  It may be related to her lower back, disc compression, as well and not the hip.

An orthopedist may be your best resource here.

Good luck.

She's had problems with sciatica in the past, she says this pain is nothing like sciatic worse and more severe. She isn't having any back pain what so ever, it's all in the hip and leg.! And it's worse than when she broke her hip. Alls her go did was slightly raise her leg nothing else, although it's visible to see swelling in parts of her leg aswell,which was also pointed out to her gp. I've advised her to go to A&E but she want to see what another gp says in the morning. Thanks for the quick reply med-dan 

If there is visible swelling then there may be something else involved. It could include an infection or a problem with the hip, including the possibility of a fracture (of the attachment). An x-ray would be a good idea.

Good luck. Please keep me posted.