I have severe pain in my right hip on the bone - it's in the pelvis area and it's so severe that I need crutches to walk. This pain travels down my leg and prevents me from lifting my leg up or taking a full step. Can anyone tell me anything at all about this? I've been to the doctor (alot) and even though I'm scheduled for an xray and MRI I still would like to have some additional advice/information. Thanks!

Depending on your sex and if you have had children or not! I would basically hazzard a guess that you have arthritis of either the hip or the pelvic bone! Either site can be AWFUL - because like you stated it runs down your leg - which is from the Sciatic Nerve that is probably trapped (from the inflammation) and you need to put weight on the area!

Try and keep your leg raised on a pillow - IF the hip feels hot, put a bag of frozen veg on it! IF it isn't do a deep muscle massage, because when you are in pain, your muscles tense up and they have a lack of oxygen and become even MORE inflammed and painful! Take an Anti Inflammatory - if you can! I am surprised your doctor hasn't sent you for an xray!!! also do NOT have any manipulation of the area! I am not a fan of Chiropractors and ESPECIALLY anything to do with the spine etc.

Could you tell me your sex and your age etc?

I am female and 40. One of my doctors found a lump in my hip/pelvis bone so now I'll be going for an xray and MRI. Does this help?

As women get older we can have problems with our pelvic region - arthritis, menopause, hormone increases and decreases! In particular Estrogen! Estrogen is a natural anti-inflammatory - thus hearing of younger women whom suffer from arthritis being virutally pain free while pregnant! So as we go into perimenopause and menopause our estrogen decreases and thus we notice more pain especially with our joints! Swelling and heat from the joint definitely leads to a joint problems! I am really surprised your doctor hasn't sent you for an xray lready!

Well, I've discovered what the problem is. I have a severe stress fracture in my right hip. They found a mass on the actual bone and will be "watching" it. They're concerned that it may be avascular necrosis as well. I just found out yesterday so I am doing research today. I'm a little concerned that they're "watching" it. That means in 3 weeks I'll go back to the doc for another MRI and xray but does it seem right that they're watching it rather than actually doing something? I'm confused!

You know I've FINALLY been stumped! I never heard of this before! BUT I just read up on it, and it sounds VERY similar to what happened to my sister! Anyways the reason why docs want to watch is so that they don't jump the gun and start you down a process that could infact damage the joint! Your hip joint is the strongest joint in your body! And they HAVE to be careful about the care they advise for it! You could benefit from anti-inflammotories, physio, stimulation, etc. OR a operation to start blood flow again! Each test shows different things Xray, CT Scans, MRI's etc. etc. So the reason why they want to wait is so they can see via the MRI what is going on deep inside! And then they will take another XRay to determine if there is more damage! Sometimes - especially with the hip - the longer they wait to do anything the better! Due to the fact that you are relatively young, they will hold off as long as possible if the hip MIGHT need to be replaced - as a lot of hips have a short "shelf life" so trust your doctors, they seem to be ontop of this! And as I tell other people that are ready to see specialists, write down EVERYTHING! That you need to ask, as you will forget and then kick yourself on the way hom! Ask what you need to ask! Did they give you any anti-inflammatories?