Hi. I have some questions about my mother’s present health state. You see, she is middle aged woman and these last couple of years she had big problems with her left hip. Finally, two months ago she decided to talk with doctor about possible hip replacement surgery. Doctor told her that the osteoporosis ruined her hip and that the HRS is her only option. She had the operation last month and she was implanted with artificial hip bone. According to doctor, operation went well and she should recover quickly. But it was like that. She suffers from numbness below her knee probably due to some nerve damage.
What should we do about this? Is this normal?

Hello. I will tell you some facts your mother should definitely know.
To be honest with you- joint replacement is a common surgical procedure with a high success rate.
The plastic cup may be implanted directly into the pelvis, or may be fitted into a metal socket. Like I said, there is high success rate in these operations but not with any side possible effects.
Any surgery performed via an incision in the skin carries the risk of infection. Blood clotting could also occur and may become detached and travel to the circulation in the lungs. Most important thing and common side effect is nerve damage. Significant nerve damage, which may cause loss of muscle function, can occur after hip replacement. These damages can lead to a superficial numbness, 'foot drop" or the inability to raise the ankle or toe.

I'm 25 weeks post surgey and I am experienceing low-back numbness and muscle weekness and stiffness, which the doctors have now determined is nerve damage due to the accident My muscles are not firming up on my left side is there a treament or exersises that would be helpful or is this just the way it will be. My fracture was T-12, fused from L-1 to T-10 I'm very lucky to be as mobile as I am.[

I had hip resurfacing done 12 and a half weeks ago. I have numbness, for the surgery, on the top of my foot and left side of my lower leg. I cannot raise my foot, but can lower it. I want to know if this is common, and what are the chances of getting motion and feeling back.

I had a total hip replacement in August 2006 and suffered sciatic nerve damage from the retractor stretching my nerve. After almost 6 months the pain has diminished substantially, but is still present sporadically. I now have some feeling in about half of my foot, I can curl my toes a little, but cannot lift them at all. I need to wear a rigid brace in my shoe. My life has changed drastically and I am severely crippled, quite dependent on others for help. The doctor keeps saying wait and see, it takes time. He admitted there is no real prognosis as the recovery can be highly variable, ranging from 30% to 70% and there's not much to do but wait. I would like to know how recovery has gone for others with this problem. Hope is hard to sustain.

A few letters I read referred to nerve damage and pain a significant time after hip replacement surgery. I had 3 hip surgeries in 4 months (total hip replacement with revision). Even now I walk with a cane and have a limp. I have nerve damage as well as chronic back aches, pain going down the upper middle portion of the leg and pain down the incision area. I've done physical therapy, etc. My doctor says it just takes time. Well, it's 2007 and I am still having all these problems. I'm very frustrated %-) I've read letters from people that are also having these symptoms, but I haven't seen any that have lasted this long. Have I become a hypochondriac or are these complications more common than I think.

I had both hips resurfaced in Feb 06 aged 59. I had an awful lot of post op pain in my legs (upper and lower) for about 8 weeks and now, 18 months later have pain on standing in both thighs (back and front). This seems muscle or tendon related. Also I cannot bend to pick up items as bending hurts the groin and rear hip area.
The surgeon thought my problems may be tissue trapped between ball and socket. Possible operation 'might help'! Physio sessions have not helped.

I had a total hip replacement 5 years ago. I also have nerve damage down the main nerve in my leg, meaning from my ankle up is numb. They thought at the time i wouldn't walk again as i could not lift my leg atall and could not feel anything if a pin was shoved in it! I spent a year on crutches and was in severe pain,, morphine for a couple of months then onto other pain killers. I was sent away from the hospital with nothing more than, as i would say, anadin! I can now walk without crutches but sometimes have to use a stick. I am far worse off now than before the operation. Great hey! I have just had an arthroscopy and now have nerve damage in my other knee, that was 6 weeks ago. I now wish i hadn't bothered.. Is it ever going to end? I could go on but wouldn't want to bore you so i wont. I do feel lucky that after being told i would never walk again, i do and as much as my legs will allow. Keep your chin up. x

Hi, I had left hip replacement 6 weeks ago. The day i came home from hospital and took off ted hose for a shower my vein on inside of my ankle bulged out and cause severe pain. It happened 3 x in the same week each time we changed my ted hose. NOBODY that i have seen or spoken to has any clue why that would happen. Has anyone heard of this? I have had tingling, burning and numbness in this area every since and it is now 6 wks later. I wonder if this is nerve damage or if the vein could have been damaged if my ted hose they gave me were too tight? I just wore what they gave me. I have read now they are supposed to measure your leg for these. The were pretty uncomfortable. My ortho keeps telling me it is too soon and nerves are healing but this pain is inching out and I have tenderness all the way up to my groin. I had a ultrasound to check for a blood clot 3 weeks ago and the vein they followed was unbelivablly painful and what was their diagonosis? Pulled muscle? I have an appt with a vascular guy in a week and neuro in 3. Anybody have any ideas? Who knew this was so common?

:'( My partner had his second hip relacement on Sep 19. The hip surgery went fine with very little pain. But after a week he still couldn't feel his foot except for the pin and needle pain and can't move it at all. He is sick of the narcotics. The diagnosis is bruised nerve. He is so depressed. He had his first acupuncture treatment and hope this helps. Anyone have a story with a positive ending. It hurts the caregiver to see someone in such pain. I've even thought discussing temporaty ant-depressents like they do with women suffuring post-partum depression. Thank you all and plese excuse my spelling.

My first hip replacement was when I was 22 back in 1980. I needed it revised in 1991. That was a challenge in that I needed a bone graft in my pelvis to attach the new prothesis. In 2001, I began to feel some "discomfort" in the hip again. X-rays did not reveal too much (later I learned they were of poor quality). The Dr left it to me and how much pain I was in to decide on a surgery date. I finally thought I needed surgery and had my second revision in Feb 2006. I awoke to a numb foot. No one in the recovery room ever asked if I could move it - my HMO's inattention. To make a long story short, I had severe damage to my sciatic nerve. For months, I barely moved out of a reclining position due to nerve pain. Today, I wear a PRAFO on my foot because the cushion is the only thing that is comfortable. I can't sit on any hard surface due to the nerve behind my thigh is sensitive. But, the good news, over a year passed when I got muscle connection to my calf and ankle. And my last appointment measured some growth in "baby" nerve cells in other parts of my lower leg. I've read 24 months is the limit for recovery. Well, I will be at that limit in 3 months. I think recovery will take longer and my faith is the only thing helping, not the medical community. So, I'll try to come back to this site in a year and hopefully have good news and hope to share. Yes, life is tougher and you learn who your firends are (and how your employer treats you). But, my rheumatoid arthritis has always been diminishing my abilities, this is just a more sudden change to have to handle. I hope others can find hope that nerves can repair and muscle control return!

I too had my first replacement in May of 07. I went to a university hospital with the top doctors in the nation in orthopedics but still ended up with nerve damage. After a long long journey of test and lots and lots of physical therapy I have improved greatly. I am still in physical therapy with a MD. Phd. I was with a regular therapist but was getting no where. I have made good progress since I am at the university and everyone is working together on this. Orthopedics, Nuerologist, Rehabilitation specialist. I just got off the cane 2 weeks ago. My progress has been very small improvements but they are happening. THANK GOD! I was so worried. Keep working and get and OUTSTANDING therapist. I was able to put a sock on for the 1st time by my self last week. It has been 8 months since surgery.

:( My wife had total hip replace ment op ,31 may 07, Her sciatic nerve was damaged during the op.,leaving her with footdrop & nerve end damage. She has spasms in her foot & terrible pains in the ball of her foot & it just hangs there - totally useless. She can only walk with a four wheeled Zimmer frame or crutches, but only for a short time, before the leg goes solid & she has to raise it & rest
The Gabapentin & painkillers only confuse her mind. Doctors dont know what to do.
Surely some medical research is being done somewhere on this Planet.

Has anyone recovered?

I had knee replacement surgery 11/006 & wondered why I didn't have any feeling in my leg & foot the next AM. The anesthetists came in for 3 or 4 days with questions, and finally the surical team after about a week. Nobody could tell me how it happened, but they felt I may have to live with the numbness for 1/2 - 2 yrs, and the feeling may not totally return. 2 yrs. is still 5 mo. away, so I still have hope. I find that every once in awhile the feeling changes, and 2 tests by a neurologist tells me that some nerves have grown, and others have receded. I took Phys. Therapy for several months to desensitize that area, and to learn how to walk again properly. (I'm sill learning).
The surgery was done at a "teaching" hospital (with a good reputation), and I was told that students (interns?) would be helping with the surgery, but if that's where the problem was initiated. I hope to God that they learned what never to do again!
Good luck to you both! Good to find company here.

Hi everyone,

I've have had 2 hip replacement operations. The first was 2 1/2 years ago. the next one was six months later. First it was the right hip, then the left, both due to accidents. It took me 18 months to be able to walk again and when I did, it was with a walking frame. I'm only 48 years young and I suffer with Osteoporosis. I break very easily. Today I still walk with a horrible limp. I am still in daily pain. I went through years of physiotherapy and found it only aggravated my pain.

Today I still use a walking frame just to do simple things like the food shopping. I've also ended up with nerve damage - neuropathy. My feet would just hurt and I'd have sharp pain spasms. Ive been back to the surgeon who filled out my disability forms....hell I want to be able to go to work, earn an income, without depending on a disability pension which is pathetic dollars, and move on with what I'm doing at the moment which is being in pain and nothing else. It's been suggested that more surgery will help, but do I face not being able to walk again for another 18 months?

If anyone can offer advice or support, I'd greaatly appreciate it.