My friend is 5 days post op of hip replacement surgery. He cannot move his right leg or lift it. He has feeling down the leg to the ankle and then the foot is numb but feels like a thousand needles sticking it. Will this numbness eventually go away and how long will it take? He is worried he will be permanently paralyized but he has feeling in the leg so what is his prognosis for the future?

I to had excatly the same thing following a hip replacement, it was not fully diagnosed until I was discharged and unfortunately it will get a lot worse before it gets better,when the numbness wears off the 3-4 months after the op are the most painful thing I have ever experienced, I was left with a "dropped foot" which meant walking with a splint.
I was told around two years for recovery, and that it may not recover completely, it apprently depended on how the nerve was damaged, ask your friend to get nerve conduction studies done to see the extent of the damage and take a drug called Lyrica/Pregabalin for the pain, I found this drug my-self and it made a real difference.
I have been 15 months now and some movement has returned, so all is not lost.
If your friend is like me the hardest thing is the lack of info and the fact that he probably does not know anyone this has happened to, I would be happy to chat and answer any questions he may have.
All the best mate!

Richard Shortel

I had total hip replacemen tover three years ago. From the first day my leg and foot (on the replacement side)turn cold and numb when I sit. This has only improved marginally over the three years. The Neurologist believes it is damage to my "Svympathetic Nervouse System". The surgeon says it has nothing to do with the hip replacement and must be a coincidence. My doctor prescribed Nortryptolin bu tit really had no effect. Ifyou are told this condition will disappear in time, I would ask for a second opinion
Good luck
Bill

It's been almost 8 months since I had total hip replacement sugery on my left hip and I still experience nerve pain from the inside of my leg all the way down to the ankle. The outside of my leg is not affected by this problem. I went to see a neruosurgeon today about my condition and he said he had never dealt with a patient with my problem or even heard of it. I found this astonishing, seeing that most of the information I've researched was found on the internet. I feel like I'm having to diagnose my on problems associated with the surgery. The surgeon who performed the operation told me at first that there could have been some nerve damage during the operation. Then during a follow up visit to his office he told me that the pain I was experiencing was in my head or that I might have some back problems causing the neuropathy and that any nerve damage WAS NOT due to the surgery. I feel like I'm going around in circles with these doctors ( I also saw another orthopedic surgeon and he offered no solution) and in the mean time the pain just eats away at me and the only way to alleviate it is by taking hydrocodone. I've decided to see an accupunturist next week as a last resort.

I have foot drop as aresult of a hip resurfacing operation in Jan 2006, diagnosed on day of op.
I have been told it was a result of the nerves being stretched. I have no feeling from left side of calf down to my ankle and across my foot. I cannot move my foot or toes but have got feeling in my instep and have had this since day 1. I feel like I have been left to get on with it and at 44 years old I am now registered disabled unless it improves in the future.
General consensous is that because in pre op appointment nerve damage was mentioned then surgeon is covered...

I have had both my hips replaced over the last few months and I have not experienced any numbness or inability to move my legs, I dont know if those symptoms are normal or not, but I would definately consult my surgeon on the matter if that did happen.

After 4 months of hip repacement surgery I have experienced on my operated side. From my knee to the ankle, numbness, a tightness around my knee. Doctors have said this will go away with time. So right now he has me going to therapy to stretch out the hamstring, thinking maybe during surgery when they stretched the leg, the muscles or tendons my of pinched a nerve. I am crossing my fingers.

I had hip replacement on Nov 7, 2006. No numbess until the first week of jan, coincidentally, right after the surgeon released me from my "restrictions" and allowed me to bend past 90 degrees. Now, I am experiencing increasing numbness and muscle loss on the same side as my replacement.

An MRI revealed no pinching in my lower lumbar. I suspect it is related to my hip replacement, but as of yet, we have no definitive answer.

It really scares me when my foot goes very cold and I am unable to wiggle my toes. It feels like my foot and leg are going dead.

Hey I too have nerve damage after right hip replacement. The doctor warned me about drop foot, but not about this. When I woke up from surgery my foot felt like there were 1000 needles in it. My whole leg from my hip to my toes were swollen bad. I asked serveral time if this felling was normal because of the swelling and know one could tell me anything. The doctor i'm seeing here in Florida has never had this happen before so he has no idea what to do. I was put on Lycria and that helps alot. My nerve conduction study didnt show if the nerve damage was temp. or not. Its been 8 months now and has gotton some better, but hasnt changed in about 4 months. Has anyone went on permanent disability because of this? Please give me your thoughts! Thanks Sherry

I had hip replacement on June 15, 2006. Right after the surgury I felt 1000 needles in my foot. I asked several times if that was because I was very swallon. Know one could give me an answer. After the swelling went down the numbness, tingling, cold, hot, pain and muscle loss on the same side as my replacement. The surgeon I was seeing had no idea what was going on since I could move my foot. Usually with nerve damage after hip replacement you have drop foot which I dont have. I asked to see a nerve doctor, pain doctor, foot doctor and pt.
An MRI revealed no pinching in my lower lumbar. They couldnt determine weather its perm. or not. They finally put me on Lycria and it helps alot. I've been on it about 6 months. It makes me really sleepy and i'm having troble working. Has anyone gotten disability for nerve damage? It was getting better, but no change for about 4 months. Thanks

It,s been 7 months now and i'm still feeling the same way. I've gone to therapy still no change. Anyone with some advise or solution please contact me Thank You

i just want to know how you are now i had my op 4 weeks ago i have exact the same as you i have to go for nerve study in a few weeks but it is a sore study and i am not looking forward to it r u better

Their is still no change my next doctors appt. is in august, but I forsee a sooner appt. Let me know how that nerve conduction study went for you. Hopefully they find whats wrong or maybe they'll tell you the symptons will go away. Like they keep on telling me.

Hello, I am 32 years old and within the last 4 months, I have had both my hips replaced. I am experiencing the same problem in both my feet. I feel the 1000 needles, pain and numbning, in my feet and some times in my buttocks. I have searched high and low for successful treatment, but I have not find anything that works for me. My local pharmacist told me to add a supplement of Vitamin B6 to my regular diet. This helps my buttocks but not my feet. I am scheduled for a nerve conduction study in May, if any one can offer any additional suggestions, please contact me

Hipz2007

I had hip resurfacing in Feb 07 which a stretched nerve & possible hematoma may have been involved.As a result foot drop and nerve damage has been with me since the operation.I went to the docters office and found a another patient of his that had same conditions as me foot drop & pins/needles.He had hip resurfacing in Dec 06. He has been going to acupuncture and has meet others with same symptoms.A friend told me that another gentlman had same results who was operated on a week before me (who I have since meet). Who is watching over these doctors? 98% success rate is falling fast.Who should be notified.