I have been suffering with this irritating/horrible pain since October 2008. I have been off work since then due to the fact that no one can seem to figure out what is going on. I have pain in my right lower back, buttock, groin, hip, and going down my right leg. I have been to Mayo Clinic 3 times, St. Louis once, and Rush in Chicago once. When I was at Mayo Clinic they did numerous tests and determined that the pain I was having was related to an IT Band Injury in my hip. they felt it was realted to the back pain. I had a Cortizone shot in my hip and was unable to walk for a couple of weeks. They said that I had severe reaction to this and were not optimistic as to doing that again. and told me to go to therapy. I have been to therapy numerous sets of times. And I feel that therapy made it worse if anything. They basically told me that the IT Band was something I would have to live with and that I possibly had sciatica as well. Therapy was their only option. I sought out a dr. who had dealt with IT Band injuries and I traveled to St. Louis where the doctor suggested I have a Hip Scope, Bursectomy and IT Band Lengthening Surgery. About a month later I returned and had the surgery. I have not had my hip snap since but I still to this day have a little bit of pain in the incision area. I am not sure if it is the scar tissue or not. I went to therapy to regain strength and also sought chiropractic care for my back at that time. The dr. in st. louis mentioned that the surgery may not help my back and it did not. So I had several treatments from a chiropractor and he then said there was nothing he could do for me. He did xrays and noticed I had 2-3 bulging discs and my spine was straightening. He suggested I call back to St. Louis. That doctor told me to see a Neurosurgeon and I was then off to Rush to see their top neuro dr. This doctor then sent me for a new MRI as the one I had was outdated..November 08 and this was January 18,2010..so I had a "Upright MRI" done. I was able to sit during my MRI rather than the lay down type. I received the MRI report from that and this is what it said:
L4-L5: 2 mm disc bulge with flattening of the ventral thecal sac. ; L5-S1: 2mm disc bulge; straightening of lumbar spine. grade 1 retrolistehsis of L5 on S1.
I received a call today from the Neuro dr. at Rush and he told me that my MRI was normal...but the above was highlighted on the report that was sent to me so I am kind of confused. He told me that with my MRI normal it could be a good thing or a bad thing. He wants me to go have a Transformainal EPI injection done. I am quite nervous with this because of what happened when I had the injection in the hip. He then proceeded to say that this injection may help and if it does that we can do something to the nerve. and that the groin pain is not related to the back/leg pain. He also said if the shot does not work that we would be back at square one and not sure where this pain is coming from since the MRI is not showing anything. I am so confused!!!! Does anyone out here have any information that they can give me?????. I am very frustrated since I have been doctoring since October 08 with this and still feel like I am at square one.
my pain is worse when sitting for prolonged time; standing for prolonged time; I find it to be worse at night and early in the morning or if I am walking around alot more than usual. It takes me a very long time to get to sleep at night. Also, driving is very limited as it hurts a lot in my back/leg...I get occasional shooting pains in my groin.. its like jolting/sharp pain. the back pain is there all the time and doesnt ever seem to go away...

can anyone help?!??!? :'(

Sorry I'm in same situation.

I am a 20+ year chronic pain sufferer with an interthecal pain pump to address cervical neck pain. It did a decent job for five years then SOMETHING happened with my lower back! The symptoms are identical to yours and nothing helps. Injections made it worse. I can only sleep for two hours at the time. Then get a fresh anal ice pack and try to go back to sleep. It is maddening. Any progress with you since your laser post?

Quote:

me too i had disc replacment surgery after 18-20 years of looking for help. surgery did not help. ive had epidural shots,physical therapy,chiropracter,shots  in my facet joints,sciatica joints,tens unit therapy, and it is worse than ever. my low back,hips,legs and feet hurt severly constantly. when i move my legs to walk,sit ,stand,or lay down. im still looking for help. im 41 now with 7 kids. 3 of them  under 8. i want my life back. so i keep searching for help and an answer. i hope i find it before my life and the time to enjoy fun things with my kids has past me bye.

Sorry I'm in same situation.

I have lower back and hip pain as well. I've had xrays n MRIs only to find that I have a herniated disc at L4/L5 it has a postierior annular tear, the said disc is desicated and the thecal sac has an efacement. I have mild stenosis as well, and was diagnosed with DDD (degenerative disc disease). They found  nothing wrong with my hip which was off-putting b/c that's where the pain is worst. And it started in my right hip! Then seemed to spread to lower back and left hip. Though, after seeing a chiro back in 04 I was shown that my hips are drastically tilted, and my altas as well ... Among other things.  I'm 29 yrs old and have had this pain since I was 16 yrs old ... It started aprox a year after I was in a car accident ... In my riht hip.  I am in constant pain but b/c of my age doctors never want to prescribe pk's ... It's been the only thing that helps ... As of now I take 4 10/325 norcos a day ... N that's really quite a joke ... They do very little, but it's better than nothing. I hope I've helped in some or any way. 

I am having the same symptoms and pain. I have a bulging disc and some other things going on around the spinal nerves but before surgery, an pain specialist is going to give me a shot of steriod in the tissure around the nerve closest to the imflamation. If that doesn't work within a day or two, I'm looking at doing it all over a week later. I really didn't want this, just surgery, but the surgeon suggested this first and said in so many cases it releives the pain for good, so, am trying it. I hope this helps as the tylenol doesn't much, only the ibuprophen but it thins the blood so ...

I went to the ER 2 years ago, for severe pain in my right hip, buttocks, and down my right leg...it was excruciating!!!  I could barely walk.  I was diagnosed with sciatica, given pain relievers, and was supposed to be given anti inflamatories, but my stomach can't handle them.  I also had avn in my left foot, and now possibly RA, and my foot Doc, has tried me on sterrhoid meds, which I couldn't tollerate long, but long enough to take the inflamation from sciatica.....I still have groin pain, and buttock pain.....and every now and than the pain shoots down the leg.....I googeled sciatica 2 years ago, and it said that sciatica doesn't just happen.....an underlying cause, is always responsible. 

I have the same problem I was wondering if you found any solutions just besides pain mangement? What kind of doctor are seeing now? I am looking at Piriformis Syndrome or Myofascial Pain Syndrome but I do not know what doctor to go see to get relief. Any ideas will be helpful.

I have the same pain problem areas. I originally could hardly walk or sit without pain. After seeing many physios and chiropractors, I have the pain limited to when I am dancing, sitting for long periods or standing for long period of time. I too want a way to make the problem entirely go away, however I have only been able to minimise the pain through regular physio sessions where massaging my glute and lower back releases pain and returns my hips to the right position. I have also been trying to strengthen the are through pilates which has helped a lot too. If you are at the point of not sleeping etc. try regular massages by a physio and try pilates (1 on 1 sessions by a professional, for me I go to a pilates instructor who is a dancer which helps for my situation) for the core strength to help your muscles work correctly.

If anyone has a CURE please post but I found that this has helped the lowerback, groin, ITB and buttock pain that I have had for the past year.

Dear Shalayla,

Sorry, I do not know exactly what an IT Band is, but if it is the Ilio-tibial band...well, I have never heard of someone having ti "too tight". Sounds like malarky.

If you have all the painful areas together, that is that they "showed up" or occurred together it is most likely that what is wrong is affecting structures that cause pain in those areas.

Well, I think that the spine MRI is normal. All people have small variations and the radiologists have to "say something" to earn all the money they make!!

It is more likely that you have a problem deep in the buttock where the sciatic/ posterior femoral cutaneous, and pudendal nerves leave the pelvis. This is termed the piriformis canal. The first two nerves innervate the buttock, posterior lateral thigh, and lower leg and foot (except the medial lower leg and medial foot to the large toe). The pudendal nerve innervates the genitalia that is in a woman the labia, large and small, the introitus, half of the clitoris, and the skin between the vulva and the anus...on the problematic side. People usually have referred pain to the lower back and sacral area also.

The inside of the thigh will be sensitive as will the abdomen above the pubic crest, but the lateral thigh and lateral leg will have less sensitivity. You can use a fork and scrape it from the lateral side of the thigh over he top of the thigh and your sensitivity will become much more meaningful as you pass over a line from the inside of the kneecap to the lateral hip (not the hip bone of the joint, but above that). Draw such a line with a pen and do the exam. You can also "pinch" the labia on the painful side and it will have less sensitivity than the other side...and perhaps less sensitivity than your abdomen or the medial thigh on that side.

Norsk10

And, what is the treatment regimen, if you please?

I too had pain in my lower back, sharp pain in my buttox and excrusciating hip pain. Back Xray showed a bone spur at L4 protruding into my spinal cord (Laminectemy performed to relieve the pressure). Hip Xray showed arthrist of the fermoral head requiring hip replacement surgery. Prior to surgery I also had Cortizine injections.

I have the same problem with the same symptoms and doctors are still not able to figure out what it is! or What is cause of this problem! they keep prescribing the physical exercises and hig dosage of Naproxen which is an anti imflamatory drug. I am very nervous too.

I've been in this kind of pain for 20 years and getting injection and surgeries and stil live with horrible pain, I'm keeping getting pain injections so I can at least get through some life, I'm hurting really bad again I can't hardly stand or set, praying for some pain relief soon,

I want to offer my humble response and please be receptive to what had not worked against what you have to loose.

Like you I suffered from such pains and for years i was desperate under the conventional medicine to treat and get me off this constant nagging pain. I decided to submit to alternative medicine and into a 3 months session of Chiropractic adjustments, Active release therapy and spine alignment NUCCA combine with fruit and vegetables with natural properties. After 3 months I went from a handicap being to a brand new 46 yrs. person. Able to walk and move but mostly getting up with 95% of the pain gone. Where conventional medicine failed and tried to put me under the knife or under prescriptions I had cum to this naturally. One or two twins here and there but that should be taken care off once my exercise and diet programs starts.

Hope this works...