I had a total hip replacement a year and a half ago. Initially I was doing quite
well into my recovery....hoping to get back to an active lifestyle. About
3 months into my recovery something horrible happened and I have been
quite disabled and in pain ever since.

I am 44 years old and had hip displasia as an infant. The left hip did not form
correctly and as a result I my left leg was 3/4 inch shorter and I had very
limited external hip rotation.

My surgeon lengthened my leg, so that now my legs are the same length and i also now have normal external hip rotation.

I was beginning to train quite heavily 3 months into my recovery, hoping to
get back to some competitive cycling. During this time i noticed some pain in
the area of my ischial tuberosity as well as some numbness in my heal
and outer toes.

I went back to teaching full time at the 3 month mark and began to
experience increasingly severe pain mostly in the left buttock. It was, and still is a burning,
numbing, aching pain that gets progressively worse with standing, walking or any other pysical activity.

Since then, I have only been able to work part time, and sometimes the pain
gets so severe I have to take time off.

The doctors here are stumped. X-rays are text book perfect. I have had
nerve conduction studies, tried active release therapy, acupuncture, physiotherapy, a Botox injection into the piriformis muscle,
and a cortisone injection into the ischial tuberosity area where the pain seems
to radiate from, MRI and ultra sound imaging show no notable abnormalities.

The pain seems to radiate from the area of the ischial tuberosity. There is
actually a palpable mobile mass in the area. When I sit on a hard surface it
moves and is quite uncomfortable. The pain can radiate there and/or move to
other areas around my left buttock and to the outside of my leg where the incision is.

The chronic pain is driving me crazy. At the moment, I have had another flair
up. It is painful to stand, walk and sit. Any physical
activity seems to worsen the symptoms. Heat and rest are the only treatment
options that seem to give me some relief, and healing. However it takes so
very long.

If you have any insight, please let me know. I am at the end of my rope.

Thanks so much,
Tanya

Have you tried Prolotherapy? I have read quite a bit on it and wonder if that would not be something to look into in a situation like this.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

try the yoga pigeon pose. worked for me.

dear tanya

I know your hip operation was 2007, but i had a mine done febuary this year and now i have pain in my buttock which kills me
to walk. As yours was three years ago i wondered if you found anything to stop this, or are you still in pain three years later.
I got over my operation very well, back to work and now this has happened to me, and I am going mad.

Thanks
Ann

Hi Ann:)
This is scaring me! I have a hip dysplasia in both of my hip.I am considering surgery.I am 40 yrs. old.Now I am having a second thought.
I hope you will find the reason what causing it.
Pls. post anything what you find out.I would really appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch!
Maria

hi maria
please dont be put off by me, I had a total hip replacement and it was the best thing i did . I had the operation in febuary and went back to work in the june, In july i fell down the 2 garden steps and landed standing up on my operated leg, pain likr i have never felt. It took me longer to get over that than the operation but returned to work in august. Everything seemed fine untill 2 weeks ago when i got this pain in my bottom and i can hardly walk, i just wondered if anyone eles has had this happen.
Please dont be put off, you are young and it will be the best thing you will do.

regards ann

Dear Tanya,

I have a similar pain 2.5 years post op. Surgeon and physiatrist said I had hypertropic calcification - bone growing in muscle tissue. Treated with didronel - drug to stop its progress. Apparently nothing reverses it. I tried it for 3 months with no noticeable result but others may find it helpful. Wondering if you found anyting since you first posted.

Erik

Dear erick
If the medication didnot work have you found anything eles to stop the pain. My pain is so bad in the bottom i can hardly walk sometimes. I take pain killers all the time just to be able to do anything, walking is the worst. After the operation i was great, untill i had a fall.
Ann

Dear ann,

I use motrin but my pain doesn't sound as bad as yours. From what you describe you may have done some damage in your fall. Consider an x-ray or mri to see if the prosthetic pieces are still fitting as they should. Also measure your legs and if one is shorter, use a lift to even them out. I do gentle yoga stretches - not the pigeon pose mentioned above which seems way too hard. The half spinal twist and all the warm up gentle stretches for walking or running. Also mild low impact exercise like ellipticals and nordic track. This combo keeps the pain at bay. I"m still searching though and will post if I find anything else.

Erik

Dear Erik,
Thanks for replying, I have had 4 xrays since the fall and they show nothing is wrong, but im off work next week and i will go to the doctor and ask for mri scan. I was fine for a long time pain only started 3 weeks ago, but if i find anything out i will let you know.
Thanks again Ann

Hi Ann:)
Thanks for your incouragement!! Yes I will do it next year.
Happy Holidays.

I had a total hip replacement on my left hip in 2003, I have had pain in the butt, and on the side of my leg where I was cut. This pain increases and decreases. At times, I just want to cry with frustration! The doctors always tell me they find nothing wrong, but there is something wrong if I am still having pain 8 years later!!

Two years ago June I had my left hip replaced and suddenly, last week I can't sit without pain right over the replacement.  This forum has been helpful; I see I am not the only one.

I had my left hip replaced in 2005.  3 months after, I began getting significant pain in my left buttock after walking for 5 minutes.  Every doc I visited told me that it was due to stinosis of L4 and L5.  Everything in my back was injected, to no avail.  I also had the SI joint and the Sciaitica nerve injected thru the piroformis muscle, again with no avail.  I visited another othopod recently who suggested that I have blood tests for SED rate (checking for infection) and a 3 phase bone, both came back normal.  He then did an aspiration of fluid from hip which looked like pus and had a cell count of 28,000 compared to a norm of 120.  The findings are now contraindicative:  negative blood test but positive fluid.  No bacteria grew in the culture.  I am going for exploratory surgery in 10 days.  If when they open me they find infection, the hip will be pulled.  If they find a broken component, it will be replaced.  If nothing, they will sew me up and send me home with a painful experience.

Jerry 

Wondering how you got on Jerry? I too have pain in my buttock which comes and goes - when it hurts I cannot move, it takes my breath away. I've had physio and acupuncture but nothing's worked. I've just been recalled to investigate metal on metal hip resurfacing problems - fingers crossed I don't have to have both my hip replacements, replaced! Had one done in 2004 and second one in 2009 and it transformed by life (in a good way)