Hi there,

I'm 40 years old and had a total hip replacement May 3, 2012.

My surgery was done at one of the best hospitals in Boston with a very progressive surgeon, I had hardly any restrictions and walked into my hospital room 4 hours after surgery. All in all it's been a great decision. And after all the time and effort I put into researching the surgery and my doctor it should have been.

I'm surprised to see that some people on the board did not know about the leg length discrepancy. Hip replacements almost always add a 1/2 inch to the leg which I was told immediately.  Even if they hadn't told me I would have asked because I already had a discrepancy from a previous injury and did not want to add to it. In fact, my surgeon had to finagle something to ensure that he didn't add any length at all and possibly shorten my leg to make me which he accomplished by giving me a smaller implant.  That said I still have to wear a lift.  I bought several from a company called AliMed and it has made a world of difference both before and after the surgery.

Since the surgery I have had very little pain (other than normal surgical) until about a month ago when I started having sharp pains in my mid thigh that radiate down into my knee. This pain comes and goes but since the surgery there have only been a handful of days that it's been gone. I've also noticed it's worse during bad weather.

When I went in for my 3 month check up I asked about the thigh pain and my Doctor knew immediately what it was...a load bearing issue where the stem implant meets the bone on the inside of my femur.

Since the bone is still healing and not quite where it needs to be in thickness, walking on pavement, hard surfaces, without good support can aggrivate it and cause pain. He said it was nothing to worry about, that it will go away in about 6 months to 1 year as the bone heals and thickens around the stem. He said it was perfectly normal, that about 75% of female hip replacment patients experience this however very few men do. He also said that some may not experience until about 6 months out because that is when the bone starts to thicken at the point of the stem.

Anyway, I've discovered that he was right it does come and go and has been lessening in intensity as time marches on. When it gets bad I stay off it for an hour or so, take Motrin for the pain and it subsides. I'm now 4 months out and have been riding a bike and walking 4 miles at a whack about 4 times a week. I have been completely discharged from therapy.  Sadly though for that pain, there is no therapy in the world to help and you just have to wait for it to pass.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you all.

Thank you for your comments. I had the anterior hip replacement this summer, with a top surgeon/hospital in the Houston area.  You have answered more of my questions in this single post than I've been able to get out of my physician's employees since my surgery. Didn't know if being female placed me at risk for some of the problems or not.  My biggest problem developed about a month after surgery. Bad thigh pain when walking that grows in scope if the walking continues for longer than 20 minutes. Pain eventually encompasses my knee and bottom. I've also felt from day one when the pain occurred it was bone pain not soft tissue issues. Actual hip pain/problem was fixed by the surgery but this new problem is almost as bad. Doctor won't get into problem solving till after 6 months have passed. I've gone to physical therapy 2x week which has helped with issues I didn't know I had, but DID NOTHING for the original problem/pain I have when walking.  Waiting for this issue to resolve with time. Thanks again for your comments. They help me understand what may be happening.

I had 2 hip surgeries for a hip fracture. One in 2010 & other is 2012. Still have the mid thigh pain all around leg. Upper thigh large amount of swelling (feels like I'm sitting on a watermelon on side of surgery). Severe groin & mound pain & swelling. Now my foot feels swollen. I tried working, I was standing, & it has gotten a lot worse. Was just told today, that the swelling will continue forever. Also they said it may be sciatica in my back. Keep trying doctors till they tell you what it actually is. Oh, & now they are testing me for an infection in the leg or that the stem may be loose.. Sorry you are having problems, but now I know I'm not crazy.

Thank you so much for that information. That is exactly what my Dr. Told me and pain is so bad I use a walker or a Cain. It has been almost a year but I guess I did not give it a chance to heal. Now I must stay off from it for 6 weeks. I certainly hope you are right!!! I hate not being able to walk etc.

I'm almost 8months out on 2nd hip replacement..asked for surgeon to add an inch if he could & he said fine,sure...(I knew 1st replacement was longer) So..be careful what u wish for...I was never questioned,measured,SCAN O GRAMMED..I AM 58yrs old (look45 Im told) and my X-Ray @3 months looked like a train wreck.I had a horrible dropped hip which added 3" to leg length. At 7 months I was xrayed by surgeon who did 1st hip & was surprised to see hips level but leg length an INCH longer..So am hoping for revision on 14yr old hip to level me out..First hip a breeze..this one a nightmare

I had PHR at Mass General. Went well, nothing dramatic in the recovery until 6-9 months after. Excruciating pain in the thigh. Can't move or lift my foot until it passes. Hip was on right side and right leg is shorter than left. I have had CAT scans, bone scans, PT, a lift, pain comes and goes and I yell out. Not constant, don't take pain med. I had surgery age 71 and am female. I informed dr. That my right leg was shorter. He said Nonsense. I said let's measure. I was correct. He has no answers but says maybe have it redone. I have spoken to many others, many with same problem. When I'm doing well I can walk 2-3 miles, no cane or walker. Getting discouraged after 18 months.

This has been very helpful for me. My mother had a right hip replacement 7 weeks ago and still her pain is severe, an occasional fair day, but some days are excrutiating hurting in the back, hip and down the leg. I can barely get her is bad as the pain is so severe she seems to be stiff and is experiencing being very cold, but no exteme changes in taking her temp. she also is having sleep difficulties and doesn't see the doctor for another week, physical therapy still coming to the house, but this too doesn't seem to be helping in her recovery, this has been so difficult for myself as I'm the only one home with her. I'm so glad to find these websites they bring comfort to me to know others have experienced these symptom aster hip repl.