A few months ago I started to notice every now and then a mild pain in my right hip. It felt like it was inside the ball-and-socket joint, and it was a sharp, shooting pain that came in pulses.

At first, it did not happen very often and it was mild. I noticed it most often while driving in the car (I have a long commute). But then it came more often and grew in intensity. Now it happens fairly often and is debilitating when it happens.

A few minutes ago I was watching a movie with my kids and it hit me -- these sharp, quick, pulses of intense pain, like high volts of electricity sheering exactly in my right hip joint. The attack kept up for a good five minutes, and now my hip is tender and sore in that spot. This was by far the worst it has ever been.

It feels like something pinching the nerve terribly sharply, but it is not a continuous pain, it comes in short bursts about 1 second apart.

Any ideas?

I am dealing with the same pain in the same spot. It is constant all day and night for the last 3 days. Let me know if you find anything out and Ill let you know as well. Take care

Did you ever find out what was causing your hip pain. I had the same thing happen to me 20 years ago. The pain was debilitating as you say.

The pain is so bad that I don't know how anyone could live with it if it lasted for more than a few minutes.

My pain eventually went away but now is starting to return. I don't know why.

Please let me know if you found out what was causing your pain.

Thanks

During the past year and a half I have been having all sorts of pains ranging from severe spasms that cause severe straightening in my lumbar and cervical lordosis (straightening of the curve in my spine), stabbing hip pain, temporary 2 - 5 min. headaches and even a quarter size ball that formed in my neck (but taken as unrelated from my physician though I am not stil convinced). These are only part of my symptom list, NOT all of them. I have gone to several doctors. One thought I may have Fibromyalgia, another disagrees with this. It has become extremely frustrating, since it has affected every aspect of my life. I have done some research and all seems to point with my neurological or nervous system or rheumatic. There is a long list of rheumatic disorders which sound very close to what I feel. I have a visit soon with a rheumologists, so hopefully I will get some sort of answer or at least a step closer to finding out. I have a very high tolerance for pain, so I have learned to live with it; it is much more frustrating not knowing what is going on and what are your options. If you are hurting visit your doctor and don´t let anyone just blow you off as if you were making it up or only give you painkillers and not truely find out the truth with out doing real tests as has been happening with me.

I tend to have the same problem with my left hip. Sometimes when I get up and move around I have sharp pains in the joint and as I sit I get this nagging burning sensation. My doctor said it was because I lost weight but when I investigated on my own I found that I had been having issues with my back getting out of alignment. Basically I noticed that when I sit, drive, and even slept I tended to favor one side. Finally I started sleeping with a pillow under my knees while lying on my back. Even to make it through part of the night helped a ton! I noticed at work I would lean a certain way to avoid the legs to my desk as I worked. I finally just reconfigured my desk and just have my car to go. Each phase has lengthened my relief. I hope this helps. It's amazing how you may get so used to being in a slightly uncomfortable position that you forget that your in one until you start showing signs of injury.

I saw one of you was going to a rheumatologist. What did you find out? My 12 year old daughter is having many of the same symptoms. We are searching for help for her and a solution to her pain. It's constant and keeps her from going to school. Any help would be appreciated.

I've been reading the posts and notice that my pain is very much similar to the ones posted. I'm only 21 years old and I get this feeling all the time. Lately, it's been so bad that i can't walk normal, and i feel like a cripple. I've gone to the doctor about it in the past but all they told me was that I had an inflamed IT band. It all made sense, and the only prescription was ibuprofin - or anti-inflamatory pills. They sure helped, but I still feel like my pain is a permanent pain, not so much temporary! Hopefully I can figure something more out so this doesn't turn into something serious!

I have been having hip problems for over a month now. When I lie down on my back for a period of time (at night or something) moving hurts. It feels like my hip catches in the joint. While moving during the day it hurts to walk or put any weight on it. I also have a stabbing/burning pain in my groin, which intensifies if I am sitting and lean forward. Even more, my entire leg (thigh, around the hip and buttock) are all unbelievably tender to anything touching it, even fabric. It all feels extremely bruised. I get sharp pains down the back of my thigh and buttock. The pain is constant and only gets worse, but never goes away.

This week I have had 2 MRI's, one with and one without contrast, X-rays, and a nerve conduction study. I have seen my PCM, a Rheumotologist (history of autoimmune issues) and a Neurologist.

NO ONE HAS ANY ANSWERS AND SAYS NOTHING IS WRONG!!!!

HELP

It may be a hernia. I have had the same pain. I am going to the doctor soon

Im experiencing pain also. It feels as if someone is sticking a needle into the head of my left femur. When it occurs, nothing seems to help until its run its course. not breathing deeply, moving the joing, massaging the joing, applying heat/ice. Its even happened to me when i had taken pain killers earlier for a dislocated shoulder (tylenol codeine) and it STILL occurred ( i had taken the pain killer about an hour before it happened, just so happened that it occurred once i took it) I've tried to solve this issue and cant come to any conclusions. I work as an EMT and i've asked around to some people i am with and haven't been able to come to any conclusions. I was wondering as to the age the rest of you are. im 19 years old, and was wondering if the rest of you are my age, or older.

I am amazed to hear that there are many other younger people with this problem, I'm 22 and have this pain, which I can only describe as similar to a muscle cramp all up and down my right thigh, in particular the joint, it feels. It's a sharp stabbing pain, which comes especially as getting in and out of the car, sitting and standing. But the pain doesn't really come when I start walking for a longer period of time, which makes me think tendon or nerve of some sort. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I am 34. I routinely have various pains in my hips as well as other others. I have Hypermobility Joint Syndrome/Ehler's Danlos Syndrome, which is a connective tissue discorder. Lately, I am having sharp shooting pains down my left side, then the next day down my right side. One right after the other for hours. I know I have joint problems, but the pain I experience isn't usually so constant in the same area. I am prone to disclocations as well and I'm told that my hips are very loose. The pain I am experiencing is pretty similar to what my twin sister is experiencing with her pregnancy. The doctors tell her that it's her joints loosening. Its possible that you may be experencing joint pain from them loosening as well, for whatever reason. If you are very flexible and continue to have joint pain, I would suggest looking into HJS/EDS. It's often misdiagnosed for years. But that might be an answer, at least for some of you. Unfortunately, there's really no treatment.

you may want to ask your doctor about a hip labral tear, the catching is a symptom of that.

I had the same pain in my right hip that everyone is describing. It felt like a charlie horse in the joint. I was able to manage the pain by stretching to the opposite side when I felt it coming. My doctor said this is pretty common during pregnancy although I had never heard of it. It's most typical on the right because your uterus tilts to the right as the baby grows. Everytime it seemed that I had a growth spirt, the pain happened more often. There's a name for it that I can't remember but it's due to the expansion of your uterus. P.S. I was told it gets worse with each pregnancy. Just found out I'm expecting my 2nd child so I'm not looking forward to that!

I had the same, was unable to go to work because I could not sit, stand, for very long. Worse thing was unable to use the toilet..the seat hit it right on the spot!
I was desperate! the pain was like a pinching gnawing, burning, sharp pain coming directly from the femur neck of my right thigh. it radiated to the front upper thigh muscle and felt the burning sensation all the way down as far as my shin!
I could not sleep it was relentless it gave no mercy it was a constant constant pain I even developed suicidal thoughts while my doctor tried a variety of things..
My first doctor visit she looked at xrays which concluded nothing broken (at least) so she diagnosed that I may have bursitis.. she gave me a shot of cortisone and a prescription for Vicadin and sent me home on bed rest.
The pain continued...the pain killers did nothing but make my head feel in a cloud but did nothing at all for the agonizing pain.. I returned to the doctor the next day I was in such agony It was something else getting in and out of the car the pain was intense! Finally I told her I need help with the pain I can't take it anymore! she saw how desperate I was and pulled out all the guns... Folks here was the solution that got me out of this pain within hours I tell ya! she put me on steroids (CADISTA - MethylPREDNISolone 4mg USP) and a muscle relaxant (CYCLOBENZAPRINE 5mg) I was feeling good almost immediately!
I did not even need any pain meds ...I hope this helps anyone in this kind of pain.. GOD BLESS!