I had my gallbladder removed a week ago and have been experiencing sciatica since returning from recovery. Anyone have a similar problem?

Oddly, yes. My sciatica started 3 months after though. I always wondered if they were somhow connected

i havent got sciatica but get a muscle spasm like a shiver goes through my back and out and over my right hip and buttock. tis happens standig sittng or lying and comes and goes in a wave..anyone else experience this?

Oh YES.....Only 3 days after my gall bladder was removed, I started having problems with my lower back & pain in my right leg. Gall bladder was removed 2 years ago now, and the pain has only gotten progressively worse. I now have weakness in my leg & am going through physical therapy for sciatica. I still swear that having my gall bladder removed was somehow related, doctors disagree. I've had an MRI which came back normal & was told I probably have a "shifting" disc, which doesnt show up on MRI's. I had never struggled with sciatica before my gall bladder was removed, then only 3 days after, I start having problems with it?? Good luck with getting treatment, because physical therapy is only making it worse!

I just googled "sciatica post gall bladder surgery" and was surprised to see this thread. I have had some kind of issue since having my gall bladder taken out. It started the same day. It wasn't an emergency surgery and to be honest, recovery was a snap, but I still have this pain in my buttock on the left side. It almost feels like a lump. It gets worse after certain activity like Pilates (I can't do it at all now as it causes severe pain) and running. Pretty much anything that is a higher impact sport causes pain that goes around the front of my hip. My MD seems to think it's sciata, but I don't have any of the leg numbness. Any thoughts would be most helpful as this is really starting to bug me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got out the hospital bed after recovering from gallbladder surgery just to find that my right thigh was numb and tingling.It's been about 5 months after the surgery and the numb sensations are turning into electrical shocks and burning sensations down my right thigh.Whenever I wash dishes,I can feel pressure and pain in my lower right back which leads to sciatica symptoms.However,I heard that a remedy or cure has not been found and that surgery might be needed.

Losing weight might even help because I weigh over 300 pounds but even then this problem didn't occur until after the surgery.But I'm definitely working on my weight loss which may relieve pressure on the main nerve that's causing all this pain.Putting a ice pack or anything cold on your lower back for about 15-20 minutes a day then lifting your legs in the air for about 10 seconds while lying on your back help ease the pain at least for me.

Additionally,I'm getting legal consultation concerning negligence and malpractice which may have lead to nerve damage because I'm not sure if I can keep a full-time job with this condition and don't have medical insurance for surgery or doctor visits to treat this condition.However,good luck to everyone else and if anyone finds a remedy.Please feel free to share.

Yes I get horrible cramps in my ribcage on my side, sometimes it feels like a soccer ball size cramp in my lower back which started right after my gallbladder was removed, along with weight gain, lumpy, ugly, protruding stomach, all which started after surgery, I also don`t have insurance,but I think The doctor stuffed my insides back into me wrong, causing alot of this,fat, ugly stomach.I`m thinking corrective surgery, without any of there "try this BS ", Just fix the problem!! Good Luck, keep us informed,D. Shaughnessy

Are you still around Kellie? Could you respond if so. I have the same left sided problems...

Just had my gallbladder removed 10/16/14 and am now having terrible sciatic nerve pain and achy leg muscles (assuming both are from spending so much time laying on my back trying to manage the pain from the air/gas from the laparoscopic procedure). Did you find an easy fix for your pain when you were going through this? I'm looking for exercises/stretches but have been unable to find anything that doesn't utilize the abdomen muscles so far :(

Had my gallbladder removed on the 15/12/14 after a few days started to suffer pain in both buttocks at night that goes right down both legs into my ankles. It is very painful and goes on throughout the night. I asked the doctor about it and she said it would wear off but i am now a month in and it is getting no better. Does anyone know how to get any relief?

Janet, the same thing happened to me. I had emergency gallbladder surgery 4/16/14 and just as soon as I stood up after surgery, I almost fell because of the pain from lower back shooting down my leg. The surgeon of course said it had nothing to do with him. I've tried everything from exercise to accupuncture and also having an epidural injection, which hasn't helped at all. I'm now looking at a surgery and it's not guaranteed. It's bad to have any kind of pain but it's really bad when someone that your are supposed to trust (doctors) causes your pain and then can't help you. I don't have insurance so this not only causing me pain but costing a lot of money. The surgeon that did my neck surgery 8 years ago seemed to thing it was from my gallbladder surgery but you will never get a doctor to go against another one in the same small town. I am very depressed and at my wits end on what to do so if anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for your pain.

I see I am not the only one who is experencing the left hip pain.  I cant stand it any longer. What has anyone found to relieve this pain?

Yes, I'm taking meds for the pain from my sciatica!

OMG I thought it was just me, I had my gall bladder removed on 28th March, everything ok for a week, then I got an infection in my tummy button, at the same time noticed a severe pain in my back, took 3 weeks and 2 courses of antibiotics to clear up the infection but now I have sciatica. Give me the gall bladder pain any day over the sciatica, at least I could still get out and about, now I can only walk a few yards before I have to sit and rest and wait for the pain to ease.

Same with me, Gal Blader removed on September 10, Sciatica started on or around mid October.