I have been diagnosed with sciatica few months ago. I visited my doctor when I could not stand any more that pain that goes down into my leg. In my case, it travels below the knee, and commonly involving the foot. I wanted to ask could anyone tell me why this happened to me, is there some known cause of sciatica.

The symptoms you reported may come as you said, but are often combined with low back pain in cases of sciatica. The order in which the symptoms appear may vary, because sometimes the back pain comes before the sciatica, and sometimes will follow it.
Sciatica is the term given to pain down the leg, commonly caused by irritation of the main nerve into the leg, known as sciatic nerve. This pain tends to be caused where the nerves pass through and emerge from the lower bones of the spine. The most common cause of true sciatica is a slipped disc, which are the cushions that separate the vertebrae. The intervertebral disc looks a bit like a draughts piece in shape, where the ring around the outside is tough and fibrous, and the centre is like chewy sweet. If part of the fibrous outer ring of the disc is rather weaker than the rest, the softer centre may push its way through outwards. If this bulge presses against a nerve, which is running from the main, central nervous system to one of the legs, it causes symptoms in that leg, known as sciatica. Sciatica occurs when the herniated disc presses against the nerves that go to make up the sciatic nerve. This is more likely to cause problems when the nerve is squashed between the disc and an adjacent bone.