Hello, my friends. My wife has been diagnosed lupus. She has some skin symptoms, but I would like to know whether it is possible for Lupus to affect the brain. If it is possible, which are the symptoms? I would really appreciate your replies. Thanks for everything! Your help will be more than welcomed.

Hello. Unfortunately, lupus affects the brain in almost 25% of the cases. There are various symptoms. The most serious form of brain lupus is CNS vasculitis – inflammation of the brain’s blood vessels. The symptoms are: neurological symptoms, vascular headaches, psychoses, epileptic seizures, etc. There can be cognitive dysfunction, paralysis or even a stroke. “Lupus fog” is a state when people have troubles in accessing the information stored in their brain. There can also be some movement disorders. I hope your wife won’t have any of these symptoms. Good luck!