Users comments and reviews on article Abscessed Tooth: Symptoms & Treatment by MariAnne

not helpful enough. i'm trying to find something to treat the gums until she goes to the dentist. :-( %-) %-) %-)

A cold pack was VERY helpful for me. You can get one at a drug store or your pharmacy. If you don't have one, I used a cold bottled water and rested it (while lying down) on my cheek/chin over the area of the gums that hurt, or you can sit up and hold the bottled water. I also found it helpful to slightly freeze the bottled water.

The most helpful thing for me was Maximum Strength Orajel P.M. The pm does not mean it has something in it to help you sleep. It's just a lot thicker so it can stay on the area longer. I would apply it on the sore part of my gums and also on the tooth. Make sure you read and follow the directions!!!!

Hope that can help people because that article was not very helpful at all. I can not understand why it was voted very good. oh well.

If the abcess goes untreated, will it effect other teeth or will the infection spread to the jaw or any part of the gums?

This article was very helpful. I have had pain with no diagnosis for l 1/2 years. Finally, this week, jaw bone very painful and one tooth was sensitive to hot and cold. My dentist has started root canal process. He says this was caused by small crack in tooth undescernible by past x-rays. Thanks to this article, I am going to ask him if I should not be on antibiotics.

very helpful Thankyou... i now know i need a new dentist.

Definitely have this and now am going to have oral surgery this week. The abscess got to my jaw and I had to go to 2 specialists then oral surgery. So go to the dentist, do not wait as long as I did!