I had a tooth extracted 6 days ago. I am on antibiotics. I had to get the hole in my gums irrigated and the Oral Surgeon put a medicated paste into the hole. I now have a raised bump on my gum, what could it be?

Hello Marcey

A lump on gums often appears after a tooth extraction. This could be a blood clot that forms there during healing, or simply because of irritation to the area, which will go away within a few days.

When you are dealing with the pain of a lump, salt water rinses can help the pain go away. Using clove oil on the spot can also bring some relief. Over the counter medications, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can also make a difference. Try using mouthwashes with a high alcohol content or a blend of hydrogen peroxide and water to gargle – remember not to swallow these concoctions!

If the problem is very serious, your dentist might perform minor surgery to help you get over the issue. Scaling and root planing are the first options, and if that doesn’t work, a root canal might be in order. If that doesn’t work, tooth extraction or periodontal surgery might be required. Good luck