hello! I know I have a tooth abcess and I have a second dentist appointment in two days. Howeevr, I have developed hives all over my body. I haven’t been eating anything that I haven’t eaten earlier, and I know that teeth can cause so many other problems, so I was wondering if it could have something to do with my skin rash.

Apparently, there is a possibility that abscess tooth can cause hives. A situation opposite to yours happened to me. I have developed hives. I went to dermatologist straight away and she couldn’t find a cause. She asked me if I had experienced any other strange symptoms. When I reported toothache a couple of days before, she sent me to dentist straight away. I learned there that smoldering bacterial infections, such as dental abscesses or sinusitis, may cause hives in some cases.

Hi I read your Story on here , My BF has the same issue , but we cant find the reason of the spots on his skin but also he has a few broken back tooths. Just wondering if you ever find out about your situation? Thank You Mimzy

Hi - just wanted to add my twopence - I have had chronic hives for a year, had allergy tests (all negative) and had to take either 1 or 2 antihistamine every day to calm down the rash and itching. I was also taking antibiotics for suspected sinusitis for about 4 months. The week after finishing the antibiotics 2 teeth erupted with gumboils and abscesses, and I went to the dentist who had to start root canal treatment. Had to take more antibiotics and am finishing the root canal treatment this week. BUT... since the infection 'came out' the hives has completely gone, and really suddenly. So yes, I definitely believe hives can be the cause of a deep teeth infection. Mine lasted a year, basically my dentist couldn't believe 3 of my teeth needed root canal treatment all at the same time, and the pain/sensitivity was fluctuating over a year.

I have also been plagued over the past year and half with same type of symptoms. Sinus infections, ear aches and now hives. I have even had my lips swell with hundreds of tiny hives. Not to mention the countless headache and migraines I have suffered. Come to think of it I can probably attribute two trips to the emergency room in this mess to. Just found out yesterday after visiting a dentist for a tooth abcess that I have probably had a festering bacterial infection in a molar that I had root canal in 8 years ago. If it wasnt for a blister which appeared on my gum outside this tooth I would have never known. I am visiting an oral surgeon this Friday to be evaluated for an Apeco (sp) I am sincerely hoping that this will cure all the strange ailments I have been fighting over the last two years. I have been to allergists, MD's and nutritionists trying to determine if I had food allergies or environmental allergies that was causing this mess. The doctors all started sounding the same. They said I had to calm down and that stress was probably causing alot of this. Funny thing is the "only" stress I had was from these strange ailments. Im thinking after this surgery my stress will have miraculously disappeared. Its amazing what an acurate diagnosis can do.

ckishome - I am ASTOUNDED by your post. I could have written it myself!!! I am sorry that you suffer so, believe me, I KNOW! But you finally convinced me that I am NOT crazy, as I was beginning to think!

I too have suffered just over a year. I too have been through the circle of MDs; Dermatologists; Allergists. I seem to clear up when on the Prednisone, but as soon as it's gone, the hives return!

I generally feel like c**p EVERY DAY. SCREAMING headaches, nausea, and of course the irritants of the hives. I had begin a new job & the timing with that has been suspicious as well. I finally have good insurance & decided to take advange & see a Dentist, as it had literally been YEARS. Well, the guy was a prick really, but turns out my mouth is RAGING with infection! I am going to next look up how long these things can fester (ie: mouth infection before getting to the point of abcess......... I currently have about 4 right now that are abcessing & if it weren't for my dog, I think I may have shot myself b y now.

I am curious for an update since your Oral Surgery? I am having that consultation this coming Wednesday (June 6th)

Just PRAYING for a light at the end of the tunnel, not sure how much more I can honestly take! I am sad to find comfort to know that somebody out there KNOWS the hell I am in right now. Words cannot describe.

Anyhow, if you have time I would love an update.
And I hope that you are feeling better by the day!
~ Wellness to you! ~

Reese wrote:

ckishome wrote:

~ Wellness to you! ~

HIYA, JUST WONDERING HOW U GOT ON AFTER DENTIST, I'M DUE TO GO BACK TO MY DENTIST IN 3 WEEKS TO COMPLETE MY ROOT CANAL, MY HIVES HAVE BEEN HEAD TO TOE SINCE MY LAST APPOINTMENT 2 WEEKS AGO, I HAVE CU FOR OVER 7 YRS BUT HAD BEEN ENJOYING 2 YRS HIVE FREE UNTIL A VISIT TO MY DENTIST, MANY THANKS JULIE

Hello! I really found this forum helpful, as I also feel that I am not the only "crazy" one out there. Four the past 2 months I have been to my dentist about once a week and we spoke of possibly having to do a root canal or an extraction of my back tooth. I've had pain for about a year now on and off, nothing too serious. For the last 2 days that has dramatically changed! I have never experienced pain like this (and I have gone through a lot) The right side of my face became inflamed, my tongue swollen, and all of a sudden hives on my neck and chest. When I called my dentist they proceed to tell me it is a bad infection and cannot perform an extraction for another couple days. Please someone take me out my misery! I Hope to never experience pain like this again!!!

From Ottawa, Ontario.

Hi all I am currently residing in Ottawa. As with most of you, I have been with hives and all its glorious ailments for just over 4 months now. Reading stories about some of you who have had to endure this pest for over a year is truly a frightful thought for myself. My love goes out to you. I have read all your stories and just wanted to add my own to the lot.

It all began on a wet day during fall. I was helping my father clear the leaved from the front lawn. There were plenty of weeds and unfamiliar plants to clear up as well. It was a long and messy evening. That very same night I took out the garbage, which became kind of a mess as well and left me having to shower right after. And the very next day the cap of a tooth with filling came lose.

I mention these instances because the cap from my tooth was the one I focused least on when I broke out in hives a day or two later. My initial feeling was that I had inhaled some sort of strange fungus or mold while cleaning the front yard. Next, I focused on the abysmal condition that the garbage was in, and felt that I may have again inhaled something unsavory. Never did I think about the tooth, until my girlfriend, who is also a medical assistant, mentioned it to me. I remember having severe pain around my jaw a few weeks later. I simply thought to myself that it must have been something I ate or bit down on.

Slowly, but surely, the tooth under the cap, which was visible this whole time now, started to rot. I am now sitting here after months, realizing that the only unchanged element through out this entire struggle with hives has been the tooth. I never bothered to get it treated because of professional consultation and advice from my doctor. His generally casual demeanor towards the tooth made me even more frustrated. Not finding the trigger to my hives has been one of the worst feelings. I have now made an appointment with a local dentist and will be going in to get this tooth checked.

I will be sure to keep sharing my going-ons with the tooth and the condition of my hives post cleaning of the tooth. Just want to say that stay strong and check everything. Don't depend on doctors to diagnose everything correctly, like I depended on them. If you are suspicious about anything get it checked and treated. Sometimes we miss the most obvious things, which in this case, I hope to be this one rotten tooth.

Love to all.

Guy from Ottawa again. So I got my tooth pulled yesterday. The dentist said there was definitely an infection and that it was out now. I am now waiting to see how my body will heal. I will also see if I need to be put on any antibiotics over the next few weeks to flush out the infection.

Just wanted you to know a possibly similar situation. I began having hives in January 2013. At first they were just on the trunk of my body, but very severe, I took Benadryl and that helped a lot at the time, but when they didn't completely resolve ended up at an urgent care where  they put me on prednisone. They cleared, but came back as soon as I went off it. In February I finally had allergy testing done, scratch test, everything came out negative. They then did blood work to check for diseases that can cause hives, which was also negative. In the middle of all this I suddenly developed a severe tooth ache, and after living through a weekend of pain, got to the dentist and found out I had an abscessed tooth. Had to wait for 10 days to get into a oral surgeon and was put on antibiotics in the meantime.......My hives got so bad on the antibiotic that I had to go off after 6 days of a 10 day prescription. 4 days later I had the tooth pulled, and they put me back on an antibiotic to be sure I was clear. I ended up on that a few days and had to change to a different one as the hives just kept getting worse. They don't think it is exactly an allergic reaction, but just annoying the hives that were severe anyway..........All of this to say, my hives have been horrible now since mid-February and somedays I feel like I might go mad.........with all the itching and stinging....:-) Mostly I can't sleep, and that is the worst.  My allergist has me on Zyrtec twice a day, Zantac twice a day, and last week they added Doxipen, starting me at 10mg and have worked up to 40mg......I have been on the Doxipen for 1 week and they said it could take 2 weeks for the doxipen to kick in. It has been 2 weeks tomorrow since I had the tooth out. The hives are just now beginning to show improvement, not so inflamed, not so large, are getting smaller and not all over my body. Whether it is the tooth healing or the meds, not sure, but maybe a combination of both. Happening very slowly, wish it would hurry up, really tired of this, going into my 4th month. Anyway I know my cracked tooth could of been cracked for a lot longer than I realized until the infection showed up. Will probably never know for sure, but I know another friend who went to a dermotologist for hives and the first question they ask him was are you having any dental problems.?

Thank you all for your posts, yes I too feel less alone after reading them. I have suffered for months with hives all over my body. I have tried everything, been to 4 'experts' even had a dose of steroids because they were covering my entire body and I couldn't stop shaking. They came back quite quickly, but not with such vengeance. I have recently been taking a homeopathic remedy which seemed to be helping a little bit. Then my tooth which I had had a root canal on in November (Hives started around December) and it is now May 1st, started to REALLY throb, it has been on and off sensitive since the root canal. I went to the dentist last week and after having an on going issue with this tooth, I told him to just pull it! I am not sure if that was the right idea, but no doubt those of you with tooth pain will understand. Anyway, I finished my 5th day of antibiotics yesterday and the hives were basically gone! My hands have started to itch again today and I don't think the infection has gone since my tooth is still hurting. But I am back to the dentist this morning and know for sure the hives are from the tooth infection. Hallelujah, mystery solved!

Thank you all so much for your descriptive posts. I write this, with bloody gauze in my mouth, where my 6 month old broken tooth used to be. I broke out in a rash a couple months ago and thought it was from a new detergent. Despite re-washing everything, and using a steroid cream, the rash just kept spreading, with the spots getting smaller and smaller, but much larger in number, per inch. Two days ago, I broke out in a million tiny ones, all over my torso, front and back. I don't know why I thought it might be connected to my broken tooth, but google brought me to you folks, where you confirmed my thought.

On anti-botics for the infection and hope to have the good luck most of you have.

peace-ks

I am experiencing the same type of symptoms. I've been breaking out in hives for two years now. The break outs are always on my face and scalp, discharging bright yellow fluid that coagulates and causes sores. The situation has started to cause my right eye to discharge the same type of fluid. As my eye begins to clear up, it leaves the skin around my eye "burned". I've had a root canal twice on the same tooth. The last time it was repaired, my dentist noted that the tooth in front of it was cracked and needed filled also. The X-ray he took at that time showed a large "pocket" of infection that was basically connected to my sinus cavity. I had the teeth repaired, went on antibiotics for two weeks, and was supposed to return for a checkup and another X-ray to be sure the roots of the teeth in question had healed properly.... Well I never went back, as I am an uninsured, stubborn male. After reading here that I am not alone, without a doubt, I believe my skin symptoms are connected to abscesses in the roots of my teeth. I think because the tooth had been treated by root canal, I have not experienced a "toothache" per say, that would provoke me to call a dentist. All my symptoms are throbbing headaches, irritability, profuse sweating, hives-sores, and eye infections similar to pink eye. Prednisone was the only RX that touched any of these symptoms, but as soon as it was gone, I'd have hives-breakouts, all over again. I will be calling my dentist tomorrow to get these teeth ripped out once and for all.

I have been suffering from hives and at times  all over my body for the past 20 months now with no exact know cause. Prednisone is the only thing that helps calm the itch when it gets bad but they won't leave me on it for more than 8 days so the hives have never gone away...just the itch gets tamed down. Tlhe only other problem I've had is an abscessed tooth which the dentist would not do the root canal until infection clears up. 2 months of antibiotics and still not gone. Hives had settled down and only in two areas. Told dentist to do root canal and he cleaned it all out. Next day I woke up covered in hives, head to toe and the side of my face and neck were swollen. Emergency visit and told the abscess has spread to jaw...hmmmmm, abscess got worse and erupted in worst case of hives yet. Think there's a connection here. Anyway, asked dentist for referral to oral surgeon to have abscess drained but he wants to wait a couple of months. In the meantime, hives still there and itch like crazy. Having to wait out another 2 months is crazy if this is the source of the hives. So much for enjoying my upcoming vacation in 2 weeks.