Hello all.
To give you some background of my problem; When I was young my dentist told me I had a baby tooth that wouldn't come out because there was no adult tooth coming in... Ever. So, he said I could get it pulled or leave it and it would rot out... Not wanting to have a gap, I left it in.
I'm 21 now, and 3 or 4 weeks ago my gums around that tooth swelled up. This was causing me a decent amount of pain.

After about a week, the pain subsided. It wasn't until a couple days after that where I noticed that the gums were still swelled on the outside quite a bit.
And a week ago I noticed there was a white spot on the lump. I popped it and puss came out and the lump shrank considerably. I thought I was out of the woods, but it swelled back up (however, not nearly as much) and the white spot returned. This has happened one more time since (yesterday). I have been brushing after meals and using the ol' warm salt water technique. 

I've popped the puss bubble 3 times now, and the gums around the tooth have been sensitive since the initial swelling.

Just a hunch, I'm guessing this has to do with the baby tooth... and I'm guessing I have to get it pulled.
HOWEVER, I live 6 hours away from of my hometown and  I won't have access to my dentist until May 20th(ish).

I was wondering how long until this gets worse (if it will) and what I can do to prolong this... if possible.

So what I'm really wondering is if I will be able to wait a month to get this looked after...

Also, I have been told by a few people that this requires a root canal. Do you need to get a root canal if you're just getting the tooth pulled? It is a baby tooth after all.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

You have an oral infection and need to see a dentist right away.  Usually the tooth will have to be removed and checked for its own health.  Oral/gum called "gingival infections" are some of the most serious infections one can have.  Infections in the head can spread to the brain and spinal cord.  The dentist will also evaluate you need for a procedure called a "curetage", a scraping away of the surface of a portion of the gingival and palate tissue.  Curetages can be partial (by quarters) or complete.  Use warm salted mouthwash or with bicarbonate of soda after every meal.  I would not brush for fear of spreading the infection.  Make sure you can see the dentist right away.  And don't let fear or anyone else, including a dental telephone call, tell you to wait until the doctor can see you next week.  Do it now.  Note that some hospitals have Urgent Care Dental staff.  All the big ones do.  And, for God's sake, don't try to pull out your own tooth.