My father has problems with his liver. He is feeling pain in the abdomen along with jaundice and vomiting. He has history of alcohol abuse. Doctors think that he is in danger of liver failure. They want to do a biopsy. But he is afraid. Tell me could liver biopsy cause any damage?

Liver conditions are very serious. His life may be in danger. There is no place for fear. Biopsy could produce discomfort and even problems but it is not so common. You didn't say does your father have bleeding disorders. If he has then it is used transjugular biopsy because of possible internal bleeding. Biopsy could provoke severe bleeding, which cause abdominal pain and lowered blood pressure. Sub-clinical bleeding can occur in 20-25% of cases. It can be detected by ultrasound. If he feel ill after the biopsy take him to doctor immediately.