Hello! My father has recently started to use a CPAP mask. He had many problems related to his sleep and a high blood pressure. He used to wake up tired as he didn’t have any sleep at all. My mother noticed he was making pauses in breathing while asleep and decided to take him to see his doctor. His condition improved significantly in only few weeks. Still, there are many things which are new to all of us regarding the CPAP mask I would like to know could there be any damage if oxygen levels in CPAP are too low.

Hello! Sleep apnea can elevate blood pressure because of repeated awakenings and drops of oxygen levels in the blood. Lack of oxygen and higher blood pressure could contribute to heart failure. It is noticed that elevated blood pressure drops after using the mask for two weeks. It is also noticed that the positive pressure, and not the oxygen, had a beneficial effect on blood pressure. The necessary pressure and the level of oxygen are usually determined by a sleep physician after polysomnography. I don’t know if you father did a blood test called an arterial blood gas (ABG) since additional oxygen is used only according the doctor’s advice and only in monitored settings. Symptoms of low oxygen levels are swelling, high pressure in pulmonary arteries, right heart failure and secondary polycythemia.