I was on Subutex for about 6-8 months when I got a blood test that revealed abnormal liver enzyme counts. Just before i began the Subutex treatment my blood test was above average--as in good. It obviously caused the liver abnormalities, but my prescribing doctor--a psychiatrist--said that there is no link between buprenorphine and liver problems.

I discredited him immediately and read somewhere that other people were experiencing the same problems.

Can anyone shed some more light on this issue for me and others? I would especially like to hear from someone who has been on buprenorphine for years and had a blood test.

Thanks

POST YOUR EXPERIEBNCES WITH SUBOXONE HERE

i have been shotting it for about a year and experience strange heart palpatations its really freakin me out i think its cuz of the starch

Guest wrote:

I am agree with you.I have been atking subutex for almsot two years and for a while I took this medication 16 mg a day .at that time I realiesd that my eyes sclera was yellow as a sign for liver problem .When I reduced it to 4 mg a day all side effect went away .I also experienced high cholestrol.
Thanks
Alex

Guest wrote:

you could have a sick or hard liver and your blood is not flowing through
it backs up and puts pressure on the blood vessels until you bleed out its like a wet sponge and a dry hard sponge

All of you are seriously looking at the wrong thing! You probably have liver problems from the other drugs you have used - and for the one who is 'shooting' it - you need to get some serious help!
I have been on subutex (bup.) for almost 3 1/2 years at a reasonably high dose. I got prescribed it because some totally id**t doctors put me in a really bad position while I was pregnant with my 3rd child - at the end of 9 mo.s my body was physically addicted to pain killers so I was looking for a way to get me out of that nightmare. Subutex worked awesome - AS LONG AS YOU DO IT HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO! NOT SHOOTING IT! After about a year and a half i started weening off of it and my doc and i noticed that it totally controlled my OCD symptoms - so I have been on it ever since at 32mg/day. I feel NO high whatsoever - or any other side effects for that matter! It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with your liver problems - but recreational drugs are hell on your liver!

Seriously?! Are you kidding? This drug is for those who are trying to get OFF of a drug. In my case, I was prescribed hydrocodone for a car accident I was in. In short, my doctor prescribed too much and kept me on it for too long. I ended up at the point to where I had to have more to stay out of withdrawl. It was an endless, helpless circle. Before getting real "help," I was taking about 15 10/500 Hydrocodone pills per day. Initially, I was on 16mg of Subutex, but had to change to Suboxone because the Subutex melting under my tounge made me throw up it tasted so bad. Three years later, I'm down to 2mg of Suboxone per day. No problems on any blood tests - in fact, I've improved or stayed steady in every aspect of the test since getting OFF the hydrocodone. This is a miracle medicine for me. It has given my my life back. I no longer have to live for the next "fix". There is NO "high" or feeling associated with this Suboxone - it takes the need away and does so with no withdrawl or negative side effects. If you're abusing the drug to get off of drugs, you seriously need to question your motives. Get help - real help and get your life back...

first of all, subs havnt been available for very long, so definitive long term effects are not yet known. There has been enough reports of liver problems to raise some heads across the Internet. We are taking a huge risk by taking subs. To the woman who posted above: u may not feel 'high', but your taking an opiate every single day. While u may not be aware, u are sedating yourself every single day. Your taking a drug relative to heroin that attaches itself to the u-receptors or pleasure center of your brain. I'm sure your OCD would also be subdued if you took a little heroin everyday. I don't mean to put you down, but I think its important for us to know that subs are a highly addictive and potentialy dangerous and still relatively unknown mind altering substance. Sometimes it feels like the health industry is happy to shovel out as many little orange pills as possible. When ever huge amounts of money and addictive substances are put together, u have to be wary of the powers that control them both

i really find it hard for someone not to read to contraindications on a prescribed medication YES IT DOES COUSE LIVER ISSUES IN FACT A LIVER FUNCTION PANEL TEST IS RECOMMENDED EVERY SIX MONTHS
IT IS A FACT NOT A PAST INDICATION OF PRIOR DRUG USE, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR PAST LIVER TESTS PRIOR WERE FINE SUBOXONE OR SUBUTEX WILL AFFECT YOUR LIVER LOOK IT UP READ IT THE PRESCRIBING INSERT STATES IT IS A FACT,

I WAS ON SUBOXONE FOR A YEAR AND THERE ARE WITHDRAWLS AS WITH ANYTHING YOU WOULD TAKE ON A DAILY BASIS FOR OVER A YEAR. TO THE PERSON WHO IS SHOOTING IT, IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE, STOP!!!!!!!!!!A FRIEND OF MINE DIED FROM THIS. IT WILL PUT YOU IMMEDIATLY INTO CARDIC ARREST. I HOPE YOU WERE JUST TRYING TO GET ATTENTION BY SAYING THIS. WELL, YOU DID,NOT FUNNY. PEOPLE ARE DYING EVERY HOUR FROM DRUG ADDICTION!

LOCKED UP
COVERED UP OR SOBERED UP
WHICH ONE WILL IT BE????????????

Guest wrote:

From "Guest" 5/08

First, let me say... Subutex is NEVER to be injected, EVER! Whatever side effects one gets after doing this should be considered NON subutex related since the instructions for use are very clear!

I had 5 spinal surgeries in '96 and have been battling chronic pain for even longer than that! So my experience has nothing to do with heroin, directly, however, I considered myself quite an "opiate via pills" addict for many years so I DO understand the emotional addiction as well.

In January of this year I decided I had had enough! I came off ALL medications including morphine er. I took 400mg morphine sulfate ER and 210mg of Morphine IR per day!! I've come off of these and other strong pain meds (methadone) before but this year I used Subutex to help me. This medication is THE BEST THING for stopping withdrawals that I've EVER seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

Again, I cannot speak for those using it for heroin addiction; but I can give an "educated guess" and say that if you're looking to get "high" off of subutex after using such powerful drugs as heroin, opiates etc...you will DEF be disappointed as you've already built up too much tolerance! Subutex is NOT for getting "high"; it is a LEGITIMATE medication for people who NEED PHYSICAL help coming off of opiates!!!!!!!

I certainly don't mean to be rude but I have to say that it sickens me when someone like myself tries to get a prescription for subutex and gets the "runaround" because Of people who only want to abuse it!! Sorry, but that is just the truth! THINK first, people before you go and ruin it for those who actually NEED IT!
:D

Lastly, I agree that One still feels withdawals when coming off of Subutex; however, they are SO insignificant when compared to the withdrawals from methadone, morhphine, etc! Remember folks, everyone is DIFFERENT! Some people will do well without any help from withdrawals, others will get only mild relief and others will praise the day subutex was put on the market!! I will say though that if you have a "crappy" attitude right before trying it, you'll probably get "crappy" results....and ESPecially if you're looking to get a "high" from it!! If you've used anything as strong or stronger.....You will NOT! Hate to "disappoint you".....

From lissuz:
Guest wrote:

From "Guest" 5/08

From Lissuz:

:D

After a bad accident I returned to using heroin after about 6-12mths clean. Before that, 5-6yrs of using a decent amount of heroin led to a few hard cold turkey leg-kicking, agonising detoxes (maybe we should all get someone to document what we say about using and kicking while we are kicking and sweating it out - to remember because we won't fully recall how bad it was/is otherwise), then was on methadone for a couple of years which I then reduced to 35mg so I could do the 'Israeli treatment' with naltrexone, was on naltrexone for about 6mths or so, stopped taking the Naltrexone, relapsed (again) and then later did a couple of rapid detoxes using naltrexone.... You would think I'd learn, right? Wrong. Somehow our bodies and brains 'forget' how hard it is, not just the using and scoring and dramas, but also how BAD detoxing from opiates is.

So I want to tell people out there that subutex is the only thing that has kept me stable, for years, without going through the lethargy and sickness that naltrexone gave me, without the lethargy and complacency and emotional numbness that methadone gave me, and sure beats relapsing.

The naltrexone made me sooooo much sicker than coming off methadone (with only clonodine and valium to help for 2 days coming of methadone) then on the third morning went onto the machine for the Israeli detox in hospital. Can I just say that any treatment requiring you to be under general anaestethic so you can convulse and kick without killing yourself, hooked up to heart machine etc has gotta be risky and dangerous and extreme...and therefore gotta be a better way... I think that while Naltrexone blocks the opiate receptors in your brain, I think it also blocks natural opiates that your body produces to make you happy, to stop feeling pain when you accidentally hurt yourself, and the happy-drug endorphins etc released by your body during eg exercise, sex etc. This is why - in my opinion - so many people on naltrexone are depressed, have no sex drive, want to go use speed (of all things!!, just to feel some energy and alive for a change - that's what happened to me, which then followed by another heroin relapse of course...) and end up quitting the treatment because it knocks them around so much, feeling lack-lustre and nauseous all the time is no quality of life.

I can say that Sub has given me back my quality of life. I've been on a pretty high dose (up to 24mg/day but also as low as 4mg which I had no real issue with reducing to resonably quickly) but I have had no inclination to use and the stability has meant I have been able to rebuild my life. However, I have found that I have put on a LOT of weight, don't know how much of that is the Sub, or the antidepressants that I was on for years or the fact that I just wasn't using and therefore not looking emaciated and was eating regularly, perhaps the metabolism has dropped with age and decreased use of drugs and running around scoring etc.
This is something I will have to work on but it is a fair trade off for being stable and having my life together.

Finally, sorry for rambling on but I hope someone gets some use out of my experiences here... I know people who have been shooting their subs most days for a couple of years (around 6mg a day) and one of them told me after feeling not so great at all, got liver function tests done (LFTs) and test came back with fatty liver. He asked the dr if this was because of drinking perhaps, dr said no, that the damage from drugs shows in a different part of the liver to alcohol damage, that this was becuase of sooting subutex. So 2 weeks of not shooting it but taking it sublingually his results have come back much improved. So, like any drug, your liver will need to process it, but whacking the sh*t is only going to do one of 3 things, 1, increase your dependency and get you another 'habit' of self-indulgent sh*t, 2, make your dose not last in your system like it should,meaning you'll either go back to using smack or be upping your dosing to somehting ridiculous and getting no benefit, or 3. totally stuff up your veins, (and bruising your arms and getting infections from missing and risking that infection leading to amputation -more common that you think) of fingers or limbs esp if infection gets in the bone...) to the point that you can't even get a simple blood test without going through an hour of digging for a vein. DO NOT SHOOT IT! If taken as directed, you should find that you have a very smoooth, consistent release in your system. No 'spikes and lows' like with methadone and stuff.

Of all the treatments and programs, I have found subutex has worked, longterm for me. I know I still have to get off it completely, but because I am not heroin sick in the head too, I think my mind won't be going 1000miles an hour while coming off it and I at least have the luxury of being able to do it slowly and comfortably.

Should add that these people also have complained of high blood pressure, heart pains and racing/slowing heart. The starch in the tablets is NOT designed to be injected, nor does shooting subutex do anything for you anyway so don't bother, you are only addicted to the injecting you are not getting a genuine high from it! So stop kidding yourself. Why is it that we are mnore concerned when our car isn't running well, yet we don't consider what is happening to our bodies?? -- getting super clear warning signs like "strange heart palpitations, it is freaking me out' should tell you to stop doing it. If you must shoot and insist on doing so, at least see a veincare person at a health facility and if you can get wheel filters use them, at least it'll take out a lot of that starch and stuff.
All that c**p in your veins will corrode, harden and destroy your heart, liver and kidneys, and this will happen QUICKLY much faster than most things and more pronounced damage too, not to mention veins and stuff. Please stop doing this as it is really not good. I know you think it is a cheap shot but think about it, is it worth it? Nope.

I had great liver results after IV drug use and I took suboxone for 9 months and now have extremely bad liver results. Very interesting to hear others do too...