I would like to ask something. My friend is suspected to have autoimmune hepatitis. It hasn’t been confirmed yet. I would like to know if liver biopsy is really necessary for diagnosis. I would like to find out something more about this. Can someone provide me with more info? I would appreciate it.

Hi. Liver biopsy is not the first step in diagnosing autoimmune disease. First, your friend should do the blood tests. Liver has many enzymes in blood that can show us how this organs functions. Ultrasound is also something that can show if something is happening in the liver. Blood can also be used for detecting antibodies like antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) that can appear in this disease. Liver biopsy uses small part of the liver. This is the test that can 100% sure tell us if there is autoimmune hepatitis or not. Your friend should discuss this with his doctor. Bye!