Hello, folks. My son is 17 and he got jaundice. I think doctor’s excluded some more serious diseases. He suspects on Gilbert Syndrome. He says it isn’t a serious disease, but he will have to make sure that this is a right diagnosis. I wonder whether liver biopsy is needed for proving this syndrome. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Gilbert syndrome is not a serious condition. It usually does not require any kind of treatment. Liver biopsy is not needed for proving it. Blood tests are usually enough. All the results are normal, except unconjugated bilirubin. It is elevated or its levels vary. First, it is normal, later it is higher. Except jaundice which is not necessary, there are no physical sings or symptoms. Your doctor can order liver ultrasound or fasting in 24 hours to determine what causes this jaundice. Genetic testing can be done, but it is not available everywhere.