Hi, my father and my grandmother both died with or because of the Alzheimer's disease. I am very concerned about my mental health because I know that this type of dementia is inheritable. Recently I have noticed some signs of Alzheimer's and that scared me a lot. I would not want my children to go through what I went with my father. Is there some way for me to prevent dementia?

Hi, I am sorry to say that dementia can not be prevented, but its development can be slowed down. There are a couple of steps you can take to insure that the signs of dementia will not appear for some time in the future. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that reduces the effects of free radicals in the body. This way vitamin E will help your neurons to have a longer life. Secondly, gingko biloba is used to improve concentration and memory. Keep your brain active all the time. Solve crosswords and puzzles, read books and magazines. Most importantly have regular check ups and talk to your doctor about the problems you are experiencing. I am sure that he will have some more good advice for you.