My grandfather was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia. I have to admit, I have never been that close to him, but it hurts me when I see my mother crying all the time because of him. I heard from my friends at school just some fragments on Alzheimer's dementia, and it does not look nice at all. I would like to know something more on this illness, please.

If you want medical definition, we would sat that Alzheimer's dementia is caused by accumulated amyloidal substances that causes destruction of neurons and deficit of neurotransmitters. This basically means that brain becomes atrophic, and cannot perform its functions well. The bottom line is that patients suffering from this condition at its final stage cannot take care of themselves, cannot eat or take care of hygiene. They need help.