Hi, my father is suffering from dementia. He was diagnosed few months ago. The doctor said that with the proper medication his condition will be kept under control. The problem is that my father is taking aspirin and gingko biloba tablets. I am not sure how this will help to improve his situation. Isn't dementia a serious condition that should be treated with more severe medication?

Hi, you are absolutely right about dementia. It is a very serious condition that demands a serious treatment. Believe it or not aspirin is a great medicine for dementia. In small concentrations aspirin is an anticoagulant that allows the blood to flow more fluidly. This way the brain gets more blood and with it, more oxygen. And the affects of gingko biloba on memory are widely renowned. My mother is suffering from multi-infract dementia and she is taking the same medication as your father. However, if you believe that your father's therapy is not helping him and you see that his condition is worsening, you should talk to his doctor about a different treatment. There is a wide spectrum of medicine that is used to treat dementia. The drugs may help to slow down the process, but the decay of nerve cells is inevitable.