Hi, I have been feeling dizziness and headaches for some time. From time to time I was having trouble sleeping. A few days ago the headaches became unbearable so I decided to see the doctor. He ordered a CT that had shown signs of multi-infracts of the brain. This infracts have caused headaches and dizziness. There was something else that has bothered me ever since. The doctor said that the multi-infracts will also cause dementia, but that I don't have to be worried about it, because this type of dementia is not as difficult as the Alzheimer's dementia. Can you please tell me if the doctor is right, or if he was trying to make me feel better?

Hello, multi-infract dementia is a progressive condition that is induced by a number of ischemic episodes that cause damage to the brain. The ischemic episodes are usually followed by the loss of consciousness. My mother is also suffering from multi-infract dementia. When the first infract occurred she was unconscious for couple of hours. When she woke up, she didn't want to go to the doctor, but we convinced her. The neurologist ordered a CT and did some additional tests. She diagnosed my mother with multi-infract dementia. This has happened three years ago and my mother is today feeling great. She is sometimes disoriented and every once in awhile she just can't find the right words, but these episodes are so rare that we hardly notice them. The thing with multi-infract dementia is that you have to keep your blood pressure under control if you want to prevent the ischemic episodes. My mother is also taking aspirin and gingko biloba that help with her memory. You can see that with the right treatment multi-infract dementia can be slowed down and you will be able to feel yourself for a long time.