Hi, I would like to get more information about frontotemporal dementia, because my grandpa was diagnosed with it. Is he going to become silly, old man not knowing what he’s doing?

Frontotemporal dementia affects parts of the brain which control speech and personality. Personality changes are noticed at first, followed by speech, behavior and eventually memory dysfunction. Pick's disease is one form of FTD. Symptoms which characterize FTD are: socially inappropriate behavior, inappropriate sexual behavior, losing interest in personal hygiene and general appearance, compulsive eating and oral fixation, apathy, lack of motivation, speaking disorders, loss of memory. The disease can not be reversed or stopped by any medication, but symptoms can be improved.

I just found this site. Saw your post and thought you might find this site very helpful. Be sure to go and view the clips from their annual conference they are very informative. Here is the sites URL: ftd-picks.org/?p=home.home

My mother has Fronto-temporal Dementia (FTD) which was initially diagnosed in August 2006 as just some form of dementia. At that time I had moved her to California from Delaware since she was having all kinds of trouble and my step-father had just passed away 76 months prior. Her doctors back east just were not on top of things and took a wait a see approach and attributed most of her problems to old age, which is typical. Then I began doing some research on dementia and also got all of her old medical records back 10 years and started seeing a strange pattern not of memory trouble first but of behavior issues. She had been mis-diagnosed with Parkinson's and schizophrenia which is a typical and common mistake. The most important thing to do is find a good doctor who if not very familiar with FTD will at least be willing to research and learn about it to help. Even my mother's neurologist out here has told me that I know more than he does since I have done so much researching. They only get a bit in medical school about this since the predominate form of dementia seen is usually Alzheimer's or so they have thought in the past. In fact it is now thought that up to 40% of patients diagnosed with Alzheimer's probably had and or have FTD instead. If a doctor is smart enough, takes time and is open minded there are specific things that point to FTD versus Alzheimer's. Anyway hope the site above helps you out I know what your family is going through trust me.