Hi! I need some information. My grandma is 83 years old and she started to behave very odd. My mother thinks that maybe she shows the firs signs of Alzheimer. But my father thinks it’s a vascular dementia. Are the symptoms of vascular dementia similar to Alzheimer's symptoms? Does anybody know that? Thanks!

Well, symptoms of vascular dementia can be very similar to Alzheimer's symptoms. But there are some differences. As I know, vascular dementia may affect judgment and personality less than Alzheimer's disease does. People with vascular dementia are more prone to depression than people with Alzheimer's disease. Symptoms of vascular dementia may worsen suddenly.

Hi there,
You have to understand that these two disorder are not the same but the thing is that they can have very similar symptoms. I will try to give you a list of the symptoms of vascular dementia so you can see the differences. You might notice problems with concentration and problems with memory. You will have restlessness and agitation along with unsteady gait. Problems with urination are also presented when you have vascular dementia. Sometimes you will have very strong depression that can be very problematic but you can also just get up in the middle of the night and wonder off. I hope that some of these symptoms helped you to understand the difference between vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s.