Im 21 years old- im taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo since June of 06- and my boyfriend and i have unprotected sex occasionally- most of the time use condoms- i kno i kno... bad.. :( we've both been tested for stds recently and were both clean as a whistle! and ive also seen my gyno who sais everything is fine...

... BUT ...
recently in the last two months- ive been getting this thick brownish slimy discharge and it starts about a week before my period and sometimes randomly throughout the month- its supre gross and awkward and been killing the mood -last month- it TOTALLY freaked me out- and i was CONVINCED i was pregnant- which is not for me at this time in my life- hence the BC- but anyways...

...to add a little more drama to my predicament- we both went to vegas for new years- so i skipped my inactive pills and started a new pack cause i figured i didnt want to start the new year on my period... :P i kno i kno... not cool either- well today is jan. 3rd (Wednesday) which means im on the new pack about four days into it-

... ALSO i feel i should say that in the last couple months, my eating habits have been tad on the unhealthy side- with the holidays, however im changing my diet to try to loose some of those holiday pounds- and i also recently started taking green tea extract in the last couple months as well- side effects maybe of that?

... im still getting the dark brown discharge, which stains my panties, and sometimes super thick- which i feel could be symptoms of skipping my period- but honestly- im really scared that this isnt normal- could i be pregnant? is it left over cum? left over menstruation? should i take a test? try douching? change my diet? HELP!!!

... im reaching out for advice because my gyno JUST told me like a month ago that everything is cool.... IM SO CONFUSED!!!!!! and im reading all these posts everywhere and nothing is giving me even a slight answer...

-Sorry for the long post- but i appreciate your time and any advice i can get!!!!

-Thoroughly a mess

Brown vaginal discharge indicates the presence of blood, and old blood in particular. Now, being on the birth control pill can indeed mess with your menstrual cycle in such a way that you end up with random vaginal spotting, so I would suspect that if you already know you do not have any STDs. It is definitely not left over cum, you can always take a pregnancy test, and you shouldn't douche because that really throws the natural balance off and can give you a yeast infection and stuff like that. 

In any case, any time you are seriously worried, you should go to a doctor, if you can. 

Best of luck. :)

I've been on yaz bc for about 3 months and am supposed to start my period next week. this week i've been having brown discharge (for the last 4 days)....i've never had this happen either....and i have been on bc before in the past for a couple years and never had it happen. i also have unprotected sex pretty much all the time...so i don't know what is with the brown discharge. from what i've heard bc pills just do that to you sometimes. i know what you mean about it ruining the mood....its aggravating and annoying! is this the first time you have had it happen? i've also had a bit of a change in my diet lately and i guess i'm more stressed around the holidays....i just hope it never happens again!! good luck :-)

birthcontoll will sometimes do this to your period, it may start out brown but should eventualy turn back a normal redish colour.
you may also sometimes have a prolonged period, that last longer then your regular periods.
seeing as birthcontoll are hormoan pills to controll getting preg, and your period is your body cleanign out all the old fertillized egg's, yea it is normal for birthcontroll to change your period like this.
if your were preg you should not be getting any discharge at all, unless you miss carryed.
if your really concerned abotu it, you should talk to your doctor.

personaly, i've been talking birthcontroll for awhile, my older sister has been takign it for a few years 2-4 years, i spoke to my mom, and sister when this happend to me and they both said it was normal. namely because the birthcontoll.
birthcontoll can do weeird stuff to you, loss of wanting to eatting, wanting to eat more, liking or dislikes different foods you liked or didn't like before, over niceness, bitchyness, soreness, tenderness...
lots of things, when i first talkign takign it, my breast's were sore for awhile, and my first period after startung taking them started off as brown, and eventually turned red. and insted of having it my regular 5 days, i had it about 7-9.

i hope this helps someone!

i have the exact same thing!
dark brown discharge....idk what it is and im kinda scared cuz some of you said it may be pregnancy.

i am also taking YAZ its my 2nd month tho.
and i often forget to take my pill, so sometimes i take 2 in one day.

do u think maybe thats the problem?

but it also makes down there itchy and have bumps on it too, i think its getting irritated but idk.
i called my gyn and she said that it might be left over blood and she said to wait a week and if it doesnt go away call her again.

but idk, cuz i was done with my period for a while now
and when i had sex after i was done with my period it felt like he was ripping me and it was painful n very uncomfortable....but ive been with the same guy for over 2 years and its never felt like that before....

im so confused and worried.

I am 35 and I have been taking Yaz Birth control for just under a year now, and take it regularly each day, at the same time.

A little bit of spotting between periods has been normal, and my periods have gotten shorter (3-4 days). But usually, the spotting requires no panty protection. Last month, my period started a few days late, then the blood was dark, dark red with a brown tinge to it and lots of clots and fibers. The period lasted three days then stopped suddenly.

A few days after my period stopped, I was experiencing blood-tinged mucus for three days.

This month, I began bleeding a dark brown blood (the color of dark chocolate) a week before my period should start! I've had to wear a pantyliner and change it twice daily. I'm still bleeding like this, though a little heavier now. And my period should be going full force at this point.

I should also mention that I have always had very heavy menstrual cycles, and the last one was uncharacteristically light, as is this one so far. And after taking the Yaz for nearly a year now, I am a bit puzzled as to why this is all starting now.

I'm having the same problem. I've been on Yaz for probably 2 years now, and nothing like this has ever happened before. I've never used condoms while being on the pill, my fiancee and I have been together for over 5 years and are both clean, so the pill should be enough. I can't imagine I'd be pregnant, and this just started happening last night - the discharge - and I should mention I'm also getting some stomach cramping with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.

okay i started taking yaz at the beginning of this month when i got my period. about a week after i started getting brown discharge. it has been about 3 weeks and it has gotten darker.. im pretty sure its not pregnancy since its not spotting.. but im still very scared. any advice? :-(

I hope that it is normal. I have only been taking Birth Control for about a month and the changes to my body and mood are questionable. I am still wondering if the brown discharge is normal and safe for me to be going through. It seems I have been on my period for almost a month straight.. due to the discharge. I started the pill during the last few days of my period and about a week later the discharge began to appear and has been since. I just want to make sure that I am not dying or anything. I also am wondering how long it will continue. It's kind of put a damper on my self-esteem and I would really like to have sex sometime soon. It's gross when you have all this brown mud-like sh*t coming out of you though. :$ I appreciate being able to find out that this is supposed to happen, but I do have my doubts.

well i have been on birth control too, but im on the 3month thing. but the same thing is happening to me. i have brown discharge and im kinda bleeding, its been happening for almost 4weeks! idk what do to, im going to go see my gyn. but yea...but what do u think it is....im pretty worried.

think someone could help me out? :$

I find it intersting that the side effects mentioned on the informational paper that comes with yaz mention spotting as a side effect, but it doesn't say that it will be slimy half dried black clumps of old uterine lining discharging for the duration of the whole month, pretty much. And yah, I, too, am being impacted in my sex life because of it. It is disgusting--unlike anything I've ever experienced from any other birth control I've ever taken. I just stopped taking the pill. I'm like, "F^@% this sh!t." My sexual autonomy is much more important to me than using a birth control pill, especially when there are other methods of birth control that don't induce the disgusting "spotting" that YAZ does.

So my gf and I had unprotected sex and I went inside her. She has been on the pill for 2 or 3 months. Usually she has her period at the end of the month but this time after we had sex 2-3 days after she had a brown discharge.... :'( ............i really hope its not pregnancy...oh and i forgot to mention she is on YAZ but......like this is 2-3 days after some brown stuff came out.....thoughts plz

since you have stopped the bc did all the random spotting and discharge stop or did it keep happening. and i know what u mean about the sex thing i had a huge thing with my bf that we have been planning to have a whole day together, we im bleeding/discharge really cut down the mood :$ so yea

Wow, I'm really relieved to find out I'm not the only one with this sort of thing going on...
I've been having the same sort of darkish-brown discharge for the past three weeks or so, lighter at some times and heavier at others. Usually I only see brown down there near the end of my period.
I'm also on birth control (Minovral, though I started out on Alesse and switched because of breakthrough bleeding). I'm supposed to be on the third day of my period now, and instead of the usual dark red, it's just more of the same brown stuff that I've had for a while, only slightly heavier. I'm not really alarmed about the "missing" period, because I know birth control can sometimes cause missed or weird periods and I know I'm not pregnant. I'm more wondering when or if my period will show up, and if the brown discharge is permanent, or a sign of anything serious... or if this time, the brown stuff is my period. It's really reassuring to read stuff from other women who seem to have nothing dangerous going on (:

ok so im on YAZ too and have been for like three years and out of no where i started having this brown discharge and sometimes mucus laced with a little bit of blood. It started about three days ago after sex that was slightly rough and i figured maybe that was the reason, but its three days later and im freaking out!!! i never miss a pill and take it the same time everyday, i also have had the same boyfriend for three years with no problems. but im just scared bc i know spotting is like a sign of pregnancy. I also heard it could be a a sign of clymidia, but like i said I've had the same bf for three years and were both clean.

Someone just tell me this is normal for the spotting to last so long and that the spotting is normal and that i'm not pregnant!!!!!!!

thanks