Hi! I'm 19 next month have have been on the pill since July 06 when I first started having sex with my current boyfriend. I have been experiencing dark brown vaginal discharge. It started when I began having sex and started being on the pill, but I couldn't really work out the pattern. I thought it was my body getting used to everything, and happened lightly every few weeks for several days. Still does. I also skipped my period, which arrived anyway on New Year's, which would be the Monday when it was due if I just took the sugar pills. So now it's as though my period (which shouldn't be here if I haven't taken a sugar pill!) is just now a lot of dark brown discharge. It's really worrying me! I also find sex painful. At first when my man would try entering me, I would almost scream we would just have to try later. After a few weeks of that and lube it worked. The second time didn't really hurt but it always does now and it takes some of the pleasure away. He feels bad that I don't cum, and only do during masturbation. Even after a day it feels sore, and a few days even after a shower the discharge smells like his penis does. We ALWAYS have unprotected sex, apart from my pills, and he ALWAYS cums inside me, no matter what day of the month it is or if I only just finished the sugar pills if I do take them that month. Sorry for all these questions, if someone could help I would be SO greatful. Thanks heaps!

hey my girlfriend and i have sex about 5 times a month and i NEVER ejaculate inside her and shes been on birth control for about 3 months...but shes supposed to be on her period right now and instead its a dark brownish black type fluid. she said she feels like shes getting stabbed in the stomach sometimes too..its been going on for two days. is this normal? we just want to know what in the world is going on?

tell her to go get a pregnancy test! same thing happened to me guess what PREGNANT!

I'm 26 and have had 5 partners in my life. I am currently married and expecting our first child. I think that you should go to your doctor and have a Papsmear check. I have never had something like that happen but know some who did and it turned out to be PID or just a bacterial infection. A good rule of thumb if your not going to use condoms and your not going to marry them is for both of you to have an STD and HIV test before intercourse. Hope it's something normal.
good luck.
P.S. Penis's shouldn't smell unless they have been running a marathon and havent showered.

First of all, penises DO smell sometimes. Saying that they don't smell at all unless someone has run a marathon is a little unaccurate and a little sweat isn't going to kill you anyway. I've been with a VIRGIN whose penis smelled, because he was a little heavy and he sweat down there. I mean, even women can sweat down there, so it's no reason for alarm if your man's penis smells like butt sweat, but it is reason for alarm if your or your man's privates smell like fish or some other foul odor, especially if both of your privates begin to smell exactly the same, even when you're NOT sweating.

I've had the dark brown discharge SEVERAL times. Some women are prone to a certain type of infection. It's not necessarily caused by sex. In fact, it's usually not caused by sex. Other than yeast, there is another bacteria in our vaginas, and the yeast and this other bacteria have to maintain balance. If one overpowers the other, it will begin to leak out, just how you get the starchy whtie discharge with a yeast infection. Well, I got one of these infections my first time when I was 15 years old, and I was a virgin. Sometimes we use soaps that kill the yeast, and douching is a big NO-NO. My doctor told me to NEVER douche, because it WILL causee this bacterial infection, especially if you're proned to them. It won't do it to EVERYONE, but it will certainly up your chances.

Also, Shaving creams, lotions, lubes, and almost ANYTHING you put down there (including tampons and pads) can help to cause these infections. So, you shouldn't automatically assume the worst and think it's some STD or a pregnancy. Every time, I've paid a fortune to go to the doctor and every time I've been put through a barage of testing only to be told it's a bacterial infection. That gets expensive. That's why I'm searching now, to see if there's another cure.

I'm NOT saying that a brown/dark dicharge is ALWAYS a bacterial infection. It CAN be an STD,and it CAN mean pregnancy. But that doesn't mean that it always is one or the other and I especially don't want people taking advice from someone who's never dealt with it and thinks they know just because a friend went through it. I hate it when people think they know how something works because they've "heard about it". Well, I've lived it. I've been living it for 12 years and I get one of these infections at least once a year, even though I do everything I can to keep them from happening.

Having one of these infections does NOT mean you are dirty, slutty, or anything like that. In fact, you could be TOO clean. Maybe you're washing too often down there, douching, or using bubble bath or a condom or lube that irritates the natural balance of bacteria in your vagina. I know that this was posted over a year ago, but if I can find it someone else can and they should be hearing this too.

AMEN! haha...im all about what she said...Virgins can get this too...im a proven fact, although since it is an infection what should i be expecting that is so bad?...i mean everything seems fine except the brown/dark discharge...Is something suppose to itch or burn?

I experienced this type of dark discharge and went to my gyn. It was a tampon that has gotten "lost"!!! It was so far up that the Dr almost didn't see it either. I was really grossed out, but the Dr said it happens a lot.

Ok so i am only 15 and i have this gross nasty fluid too. I have no idea what it is. But its wierd. Like i was, "fishing in the pond" so to speak, and i knew it was there but it looked reddish so i thought oh, its because of my bitrth control. U know spotting or what ever. So now i am worried. I took a pregnancy test , and it said negative. I dont know what it is. But mine kinda reminds me of boogers. Like its gross and wierd.

Yeah, the same stuff has been coming out of me.
I'm about 2 days late too.
Might be pregnancy, or the new condoms gave me an infection :/

okay, so i started the pill a week ago on the day i got my period. 5 days into my period it stopped being blood and started being dark brown, almost black, membraney stuff that smells bad....im really worried. So is this an infection???

I just started birth control about 4 months ago, and I'm still transitioning to it. I've had a lot of freaky things going on, but I'd remain calm.
If you haven't had sex while on the pill during that first week (and you used condoms before that or were sexually inactive) I'd suggest not worrying about it. If you are a student at a University or high school, you might be able to get a free pap smear through your school or school nurse just for piece of mind.

If you have been having sex while transitioning into your birth control without condoms or before you started birth control, I'd take a pregnancy test. Most birth controls recommend that you refrain from sex during your first two weeks because the hormones need to regulate.

well, first of all your supposed to start the pills the day after your period ends, not the day it starts. Secondly, having the brown discharge AFTER your period is normal it's just what they call "old" blood coming out.

A totally normal possibility for the brown discharge is the old endometrial tissues (old blood looks brown). In other words, if your period is late you might get a brown, rather than red, discharge. It could also mean that for whatever reason during your last period the entire uterine lining failed to make a timely exit. This may happen right after periods, and is just "cleaning out" your vagina.

I also skip the surgar pills on of my birth control and after awhile your body won't let you continue on that path with out the cycle. So you just have to tough out the period and then continue taking the pills. How long your body lets you do this depends on the individual.

Honestly...it's probably just Intermenstrual bleeding. It's very common for old blood to come out between periods. Some times it's a lot, some times it is very little. I asked my Gyno about it when I went in for a pap smear and he said that it's fine. It may make you feel better if you just go in and get checked out :-)

I am 18 years old and was put on birth control because of my sever menstrual symptoms. after three months the pill wasnt making any changes to my physical symptoms but it made my emotional symptoms (depression, irritability) even worse so i stopped taking it. two days later my boyfriend, whom i have never had vaginal intercourse with, stuck two fingers very forcefully into my vagina. it hurt and the next time i went to the bathroom i noticed a brown discharge, which is sometimes tar-like. its been about 5 days and its continued. i realize it could be old blood from a period, but would that really take 5 days to come out? it could be that my hymen tore, but would that bleed for five days? his hands were washed but maybe i still managed to get an infection, i dont know.maybe it has something to do with going off of birth control? for some reason im worried its an STD because brown discharge is a common symptom, but both he and I are virgins so is it possible for someone who does not have an STD to give me one?