Do you thing you make a difference in the things you do
for others?

The trip to Thailand opened my eyes to the things you see on CableTV/24 hr TV bue because of the spin you don't grasp the real issue.

I see people in need here and more turned off because I know some of it is fake. Travel halfway around the world and see young woman with infants on the hot pavement, sleeping on the hot pavement at night with a city known for its bust nightlife......and see it damm near every 100 yards it had a tendency to get to you.

I know long after I'm gone the problem is still there. Am I trying to do right using my own Western values....or Am I trying to do for a few people who need the money more than I need it to party and have a good time.

Just one of the things I've been stuggeling with since my return, and trying to see how much a difference I make in the little things I do in my working life and private life as well.

S99

I know I could do more than I do, but right now my priority is supporting and loving my immediate family.

You are a good man, Scorch. There truly is only so much we can do.

yes I do. When I was with the po po, I made life and death decisions that affected thousands. I know hundreds of people are alive directly because of my actions.

As a teacher I am now teaching people how to do the job and do it with honor. I can only hope that I make a difference there.

No.

Some people are prolly saying here, "No, Dawg. You're with Social Security. These people file to get their benefits, and you get them for them. Of course you make a difference." Fact is, any one of the sixty or so people in this place, or the hundreds nation-wide, could, and do, do that. There's no predictable pattern that says a claimant will get me - it could be almost any type of a claim, from anywhere in the country. To the public, I'm not a factor. Certainly to the mange-ment here, I'm no factor.

Do I make a difference in the things I do for others? Certainly not at work. Outside of work, I hope at best I do make a difference for good. I hope at the least I can be an example for others not to follow. All in all, I'm in the shadows, a non-factor.

I struggle with this every day. It breaks my heart to see the things I see just walking to work every day. The disparity, the poverty, the trash...

Sometimes it makes me want to stay and fight to try and make things better. On other days it makes me so sad and the fight seems so unmanagable that I want to run and hide.

For me I made a choice to work in a field where I feel that I can make a difference in people's lives and during my free time I try and reach out to people within my community to lend a hand as well. I know it is a small effort but I hope that my actions might influence those around me to act as well.

:1:
This is why I changed careers. I feel like I make a tiny impact on a micro level nearly everyday in the hospital.

I think that you make a much bigger impact than you realize. I can't ever imagine doing what you do.

Shadows or not, you were a factor for me the other day, and my client appreciates it. As do I.

God works in the shadows. He truly does.
I struggle with this all the time. I have family that is very poor and inaccessible. Yet, there are needs around me that press on me as well.
I leave it up to fate, a higher power (God, in my case) to put before me His needs that day. Usually, there is something if I am listening and obedient.

True, Aire, all true. But some people can hear that small whisper. I can't - mine has to be more like :duh: to get my attention. It's just not in my wiring. He's got me set up for other stuff, some of which I have figgered out, and the fact I've figgered some of it out (we never figure it all out here) makes it OK. And keeps me going to figger the other stuff too. :D

Often I am callous and selfish and I need the holy smackdown to pay attention again, too.
Note that I said: "IF I am listening". I am working on my listening skills.
The whole "Pay it Forward" movie while a little contrived, was true. We do things for those in our circle of influence (meaning anyone we come in contact with) and they move it forward too. It works.

I don't know if I make a difference or not. If I make someone laugh, then maybe I do.

I appreciate your honesty (what you believe is honesty - I don't buy that 'often' part ). I'm not saying this to say I can't have moments of being callous and selfish. But when I said I need what you call a "holy smackdown," applies just in general to all parts of my life, spiritual included. Subtleties are usually just lost on me.

I struggle with all of that, too.
/off topic: Have you seen that commercial where the guys with the megaphones announce their good deeds? "I AM PICKING UP THIS TRASH AND PUTTING IT IN A CAN" Those commercials crack me up. I started to do that at home to Mr Aire. "I AM COOKING YOUR DINNER". :teehee:

Yes.